Wanted - Bespoke Tools

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Carrick20

Hi, my name is Carrick and I am 14 years old. I have been making pens for 3 years now and recently started turning closed end fountain pens as another step towards making bespoke pens which is really my goal.

I have been researching the many different tools I need and which taps and dies would be best suited for the pen I'm envisioning. I have decided that the M10X1.0 and M13X.8 would be the best taps and dies for me to start out with for the cap and body.

I am interested in purchasing an M10X1.0 tap and die set, M13X.8 tap and die set, and a tail stock tap and die holder (2MT) if there is anyone that is looking to sell these items.

I am aware that there are more parts and tools needed but I am starting here.

Thank you,
Carrick

P.S. My parents are aware of this post.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

howsitwork

Carrick

M10 x 1.0 is fairly readily available over here ( standard size used for glow plugs in diesel car engines so keep your eyes open. You can hold those well in a drill chuck on the lathe. Chronos and Arceuro tools do tailstock die holders at not bad prices too. The finer M13 taps I'm afraid I don't know maybe https://www2.theturnersworkshop.co.uk/offers.html maybe able to help but they're expensive.

Wishing you every success.

Ian

EricRN

There was a gent on here awhile back selling the triple start m13x.8 for a decent price. I think it was around $60 or so.

Dehn0045

I am assuming that you are looking for single lead on the M10x1 and triple lead on the M13x0.8. For single lead I think the cheapest route (if you don't find one used) is a set off of eBay, you can get them shipped for about $10. If you want to settle for single lead on the M13 you could try a M13x0.75 which is readily available. Triple leads are a lot trickier, I rarely have seen them listed used. Turners Warehouse has them new for $190 for a set. About once a year or so there is group buy for triple leads, but price tends to vary based on numbers ordered, it usually shakes out to be about $60 or $70 for each individual tap or die.

For the die holder I believe @rherrell has a post here on IAP selling die holders, not sure if he still has them available. Littemachineshop has a decent looking one, but it looks like it is out of stock. Ebay is another place to look if you can't find one used.

RobS

Edited!!
M13 on sale go check them out. Oh man I think someone bought them all never mind.

Top Bottom