Wanted: Beall Pen Wizard

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lauras

Hi everyone- Does anyone have a Beall Pen Wizard that they are willing to part with? I'm looking for one to buy. Please let me know if you have one you would be willing to sell. Thanks-

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jrista

Hi everyone- Does anyone have a Beall Pen Wizard that they are willing to part with? I'm looking for one to buy. Please let me know if you have one you would be willing to sell. Thanks-
I recently worked with Lee Valley Tools to resolve a spec discrepancy with their Beall 3-wheel Buffing System. The morse taper on the mandrel, was machined incorrectly, 2 degrees instead of 1.467 degrees as is the spec for MT2. They heard my issue and actually resolved it, rather quickly, and I just received the replacement mandrel about a week ago.

During some of the conversations I had with them about the issue, and identifying exactly what the issue was, I asked them about their acquisition of Beall's property and IP. They apparently, as far as they said, acquired everything. That includes the Pen Wizard, among other things. I inquired about the Pen Wizards return, and I was assured it was planned. They have been trying to measure their release of Beall tools, so they could fully grasp the design of each and manufacture them to the same level of quality as they were before.

The Pen Wizard will return. I don't know a specific date, however I did impress upon them the value of that particular tool, and how it is a unique and precious tool the pen crafting world. They mentioned they would bring back all of the various accessories as well, although I don't know if that would happen all at once or over time. It may help if you contact Lee Valley and request that they bring the Pen Wizard back sooner rather than later, regardless of whether you are able to find one used or not.

I know there are occasional used ones that crop up, but I haven't seen many since Beall closed their doors a year ago. Hopefully, even if you cannot find one used, the above will give you hope that you'll be able to pick one up eventually regardless.

Lauras

I recently worked with Lee Valley Tools to resolve a spec discrepancy with their Beall 3-wheel Buffing System. The morse taper on the mandrel, was machined incorrectly, 2 degrees instead of 1.467 degrees as is the spec for MT2. They heard my issue and actually resolved it, rather quickly, and I just received the replacement mandrel about a week ago.

During some of the conversations I had with them about the issue, and identifying exactly what the issue was, I asked them about their acquisition of Beall's property and IP. They apparently, as far as they said, acquired everything. That includes the Pen Wizard, among other things. I inquired about the Pen Wizards return, and I was assured it was planned. They have been trying to measure their release of Beall tools, so they could fully grasp the design of each and manufacture them to the same level of quality as they were before.

The Pen Wizard will return. I don't know a specific date, however I did impress upon them the value of that particular tool, and how it is a unique and precious tool the pen crafting world. They mentioned they would bring back all of the various accessories as well, although I don't know if that would happen all at once or over time. It may help if you contact Lee Valley and request that they bring the Pen Wizard back sooner rather than later, regardless of whether you are able to find one used or not.

I know there are occasional used ones that crop up, but I haven't seen many since Beall closed their doors a year ago. Hopefully, even if you cannot find one used, the above will give you hope that you'll be able to pick one up eventually regardless.
Great, thanks. That helps. I'll contact them right away and put my 2 cents in hoping for a speedy return of it to their line. Thanks for your help!

hooked

Not sure where you are located, but there has been a new one for sale on Facebook marketplace for local pickup in Massachusetts for a few weeks. It was dirt cheap but they have now added other items and raised the price. If you are in New England it might be worth looking into.

Lauras

Not sure where you are located, but there has been a new one for sale on Facebook marketplace for local pickup in Massachusetts for a few weeks. It was dirt cheap but they have now added other items and raised the price. If you are in New England it might be worth looking into.
Thanks, but, I'm in Arizona.

Imaginethat

Laura, are you still looking for a Pen Wizard? If you are I may be able to help. What part of Arizona are you from. I'm in Maricopa AZ.

Imaginethat

I have a Pen Wizard that is available. It's not been used. I've had it out of the box once I think. If you would like to buy it maybe we can work something out.

Wesley

I am also very interested in a Pen Wizard. I contacted the folks at Lee Valley and they said they have no plans to resume manufacture. I only just learned about this device this month. Pisses me off that they would buy the I.P. and then not want to make it.

Call me "Aggravated with Lee Valley and other non-caring corporate entities."

Curly

I am also very interested in a Pen Wizard. I contacted the folks at Lee Valley and they said they have no plans to resume manufacture. I only just learned about this device this month. Pisses me off that they would buy the I.P. and then not want to make it.

Call me "Aggravated with Lee Valley and other non-caring corporate entities."
I think you are going a little too far with your comments. If Lee Valley hadn't bought the Beall business when they wanted to retire it is entirely possible that all of the Beall product line might have disappeared. If they have decided to drop the Pen Wizard it is probably because it was not a profitable product in that very few were sold. Now if you wanted to set up a company to make them LV would most likely sell you the rights and everything they have for them. Or you could develop your own better product and be off to the races.

KenB259

I think you are going a little too far with your comments. If Lee Valley hadn't bought the Beall business when they wanted to retire it is entirely possible that all of the Beall product line might have disappeared. If they have decided to drop the Pen Wizard it is probably because it was not a profitable product in that very few were sold. Now if you wanted to set up a company to make them LV would most likely sell you the rights and everything they have for them. Or you could develop your own better product and be off to the races.
Definitely a niche market and to be honest, in my opinion, they were just to darn expensive. It is too bad that those that want one will have a hard time acquiring one.

Wesley

Well, it does look very interesting and would probably be easy enough to build one or two for myself. It probably uses a bunch of off the shelf gears. If not, I could print them up on my 3D printer. There would be a few parts that might require machining, but my brother could do that for us. Anyway, it was just momentarily exciting to learn of it and then, the very next day, find out his business had closed. As for the very few sold, with Lee Valley's marketing, probably would have sold more and at a lower price.

Back to the grind of making small spindles to be used on this year's Christmas ornaments. Gotta get those done so I can get busy on making more storage cabinets for my shop.

Life is good.

Top Bottom