Walnut

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

I simply wanted to lightly sand and use a clear finish to bring out grain. However this is not a clean dowel. Guess I'll darken it enough to cover stains. What can I use to darken and finish in 1 stage? Not sanded yet. It's a cane. Not looking for a show finish but something appealing. I added the burn line. Concealing some nicks. Thanks.

Attachments

• FF22CAA4-1264-449F-AED9-CBBEEE2CBC31.jpeg
    FF22CAA4-1264-449F-AED9-CBBEEE2CBC31.jpeg
    279.7 KB · Views: 254
  • 180C876B-8CCA-480D-9817-0DBF9AAFB8AC.jpeg
    180C876B-8CCA-480D-9817-0DBF9AAFB8AC.jpeg
    107.3 KB · Views: 220
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

John Eldeen

You might try boiled linseed oil to darken and bring the natural beauty up followed with some friction polish. If you have a scrap piece of dowel I would try what ever you decide to do on that before your finished piece. Good luck!

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Probably plenty of options. One is sanding it and see if the stains come out. Another would be Minwax stain/poly combo, sanding with fine paper between coats, then finish sanding. Third, would be calling Bellforest, and see if they would exchange it for one without stains. Finally, do as others have suggested, and put oil or friction polish on it. Plenty of options! Hope whatever you do works out for you.

WriteON

Guys. I wimped. I cried too fast. I'm a baby. I hit it with 150 grit and it cleaned up pretty good. Will sand some more and maybe use Danish oil. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• A205C7F4-96B0-4636-865C-401BC077FB90.jpeg
    A205C7F4-96B0-4636-865C-401BC077FB90.jpeg
    263 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:

Lucky2

I'm leaning towards Danish oil.

Exactly, it's what I'd use also, I think that it would be best for what your looking to do. With BLO you have to protect it, with some type of top coat, or reapply it every so often. But not with danish oil, it already contains the top coat.

Len

WriteON

Glad the sanding worked . Now you have one lonely wire burn .
I'm adding more character lines(burns) and a wave/groove or two. I ordered 49, 50, 51 abrasive cord. I'm curious if I'm the only one that makes things that cost more than they are worth???

WriteON

If I got paid for mi$managing a hobby I'd be richest person alive.

Which Danish finish? Clear for the walnut?

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Exactly, it's what I'd use also, I think that it would be best for what your looking to do. With BLO you have to protect it, with some type of top coat, or reapply it every so often. But not with danish oil, it already contains the top coat.

Len
I am going to disagree with Len on this one and only because the finish is not a tough finish. Yes Danish oil has poly mixed in but you need to either do many coats of danish oil or just top coat it with finish of your choice. To me my choice would be BLO to pop the wood and top coats with about 10 coats of lacquer and now gloss or satin is your choice.

Lucky2

I am going to disagree with Len on this one and only because the finish is not a tough finish. Yes Danish oil has poly mixed in but you need to either do many coats of danish oil or just top coat it with finish of your choice. To me my choice would be BLO to pop the wood and top coats with about 10 coats of lacquer and now gloss or satin is your choice.

That's fine John, you can disagree all that you want to, it won't bother me a bit. I'll know that I'm right and that you are wrong. Just kidding John, Just kidding,you know far more about pen turning and blanks, then I'll ever know. Hell, you've probably forgotten more about pen turning then I'll ever know. I just wanted to say that I was smarter than you, someone might believe me even if it is a lie...

Len

If I got paid for mi$managing a hobby I'd be richest person alive.

Which Danish finish? Clear for the walnut?
Either or,it doesn't matter much, one might be a bit brighter or more clear then the other. So,. whatever tone you want on the pen blank is the one to pick. The lightest one for a lighter pen, and the darker one for a darker pen. Try both on a spare piece of wood, you'll soon know which one you like best or looks better

WriteON

That's fine John, you can disagree all that you want to, it won't bother me a bit. I'll know that I'm right and that you are wrong. Just kidding John, Just kidding,you know far more about pen turning and blanks, then I'll ever know. Hell, you've probably forgotten more about pen turning then I'll ever know. I just wanted to say that I was smarter than you, someone might believe me even if it is a lie...

Len

Either or,it doesn't matter much, one might be a bit brighter or more clear then the other. So,. whatever tone you want on the pen blank is the one to pick. The lightest one for a lighter pen, and the darker one for a darker pen. Try both on a spare piece of wood, you'll soon know which one you like best or looks better
Hi. I understand about testing before using. I might buy a small jar of clear so it can be used with other woods. Might keep it simple and rub a few coats on. Don't want the furniture look.... however I do get carried away with finishing and then don't use the items or get fingerprints on them. Crazy like that sometimes. But I forgive myself. Trying to avoid applying/ sanding/ applying. I wondering if lemon oil would give nice natural finish. I'm keeping this cane for display in my basement. Might buy a top hat also .... and listen to some Duke Ellington.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Len I am not smart at all and that was proven by a Professor here a few threads ago. :) You did make me go back and read this thing because I thought the OP was talking about a walking can and not a pen. And to him his question about lemmon oil will not be a reasonable solution because walnut will dry out too fast and will look blotchy quickly. Look good for awhile but lose the luster. Need a penetrating and lasting finish and to me a durable finish with the abuse it will take if used. I like listening to the Duke also.:)

Top Bottom