Walnut with red...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Phillip Kelley

I paid entirely too much for this small piece of kiln dried walnut but it turned real nice. I wanted it to look different that a chunky bowl so I put a little India Ink on the rim....now it looks like a chunky bowl with red lips.:beauty:

Attachments

• DSC01401.JPG
    DSC01401.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 141
  • DSC01402.JPG
    DSC01402.JPG
    213.7 KB · Views: 135
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eranox

I like it! Can you tell us more about the process of applying the ink? Do you just wipe it on with a paper towel? I'm also curious to know about your finish. Are there certain ones to avoid? I can imagine problems with the finish causing the ink to blur or run.

I apologize for all the questions. I'll be trying my first bowl when I get home, and I want to get a good perspective on it, rather than repeat the fire-aim-ready approach I took with pens. Anyway, the bowl turned out beautifully!

I first tried diluting it with Denatured alcohol but that didn't work too well so I applied a little ink straight out of the bottle on a small folded square of "cheese cloth". After it dried a little bit I touched up the rim with a small artist brush & then blended the rim with another coat of ink. It soaked right into the wood & I applied my 1st coat of MinWax's wipe-on poly with in 10 minutes of applying the ink..it didn't bleed through so I guess the wood was pretty dry...I am gonna hav to get me a bowl gouge...

Top Bottom