Walnut Pepper and Salt Grinders

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from byounghusband

byounghusband

Here are a pair of Grinders I made for my Mother's Birthday. They are Walnut. I used the Crush-Grind mechanisms from CSUSA.

I finished them with Deft Lacquer and then buffed with Tripoli, White Diamond and Carnuba Wax. Then I decided to add some Gold and Copper Leaf.

We used Spar Varnish as the adhesive medium. We painted the bodies comletely with the varnish and let it sit for approx. 30-40 minutes. Then we took wax paper and tore it into two jagged edge strips and stuck them on the body. I then took random wax paper pieces and stuck them in the middle. We then used the Gold Leaf and added it to the remaining area. After we pressed it into the varnish and brushed it down to secure it, I removed the random wax paper pieces exposing the voids that still had tacky varnish and covered them with Copper Leaf. After brushing it all down and pulling off the wax paper border strips, we let them sit overnight to cure.

The next day, we took Sodium Sulfer and dabbed it onto the Gold and Coppper Leaf. The Copper reacted immediately. We then dabbed with a dry paper towel to stop the reation of the Copper and let the Gold continue to react. After about 5 minutes, we dried off the Gold and then dabbed with a water dampened paper towel to stop all further reaction.

I took them home and had to re-Lacquer them to seal the Gold and Copper Leaf. I remounted them onto the lathe and used Deft wipe-on lacquer and burnished it lightly in. As you can see, on the left hand grinder, I got a bit aggressive and nearly removed the leaf material...:eek::eek:

I then waxed them with the buffer and here they are:

attachment.jpg

and a close up of right hand Grinder that I didn't remove much leaf material:

attachment.jpg

In retrospect, after the gold leaf, I will NOT do wipe-on lacquer and burnish it next time. I will most likely use either pray lacquer or a wipe-on ply to seal it an NO burnishing it in!!!!!

Attachments

• DSC01807.jpg
    DSC01807.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 669
  • DSC01809.jpg
    DSC01809.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 675
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Bob,
You did a great job on the mills... I like the effect of the gold and copper leaf.
I make lots of pepper mills, but never thought about adding the leaf, so now you've added another item to my to-do list... They are beautiful and I'm sure your mother will love them and show them off to all her friends... expect you'll have to make more in the future.

ngeb528

Bob,

Those mills are beautiful. I bet your mother thought so too.
The gold and copper leaf really add an amazing quality. I'll have to keep that technique in mind.

Nancy

Last edited:
Top Bottom