Wanted Walnut Over Size

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PreacherJon

I'd like to get some nice crotch walnut pen blanks that are closer to an inch thick. If not Crotch.... something that has a LOT of movement to it. Darker woods would be okay. Wanting to make a pens for my elders and a the new director of one of our major church organizations. Thanks!
(something like this pen I made 10 years ago)

Attachments

• Walnut1.png
    Walnut1.png
    333.7 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

greenacres2

I have a chunk of walnut crotch somewhere in the garage--no idea what it will look like cut. If i have a chance tonight, i'll dig it out and try to cut a section--otherwise it won't be until Sunday night!!
earl

penicillin

My local Rockler had a large stack of short walnut boards. They are about a foot long and maybe 8 inches wide. They are labeled "crotch walnut." They are dark walnut with very twisted grain. Every time I look at them, I think, "Don't try a hand plane on these." They are not quite 1 inch thick, but close, maybe 7/8ths. I have not bought any for myself.

The stack is getting smaller so people must be buying it, but there are still many boards left. They could be easily cut into pretty pen blanks.

I found a Rockler in Orland Park, IL, which seems to be the closest to northwest Indiana, but I can't tell how close or far you are from it. I called, and they have several of the same crotch walnut boards, any one of which would make several nice pen blanks:

Rockler Woodworking and Hardware
15758 South La Grange Road
Orland Park, IL 60462
(708) 778-3021

greenacres2

I've got walnut, it's the OP that needs some. But, Orland Park and Bolingbrook are about 80 and 90 miles from me (the Bolingbrook Rockler hosts the Chicagoland Penturners group--great bunch of folks!!) I'll be in that area next weekend, but will be in turn 2 of Chicagoland Speedway in a rescue truck for a driving school!! Only way i'll be able to run to a store when it's open is IF it rains and we can't race cars!! Wouldn't mind being able to get to the Weather Tech store in Bolingrook either though.
earl

PreacherJon

After reading some post it got me thinking about a pile of cut-offs that I may have after I did this pencil box for my wife. Sure enough, I think I found enough to do the pens I wanting to do. Thank you all!!!

Pencil box.png

PreacherJon

Well, Walnut is my favorite wood... Crotch pieces that really have a lot of movement make great pens(Imho). So, if you find some stuff somewhere along the line... let me know.

greenacres2

Jon--looks like you did as well as you could expect to receive in trade or purchase. Looking forward to seeing a few finished pens from that. I finally pulled that chunk out of the corner of the garage last night, looks to have plenty of curl, but the patterns may be better suited to bottle stoppers than pens as the curl looks wide to me. I may try to cut the center as a block and hollow out that center limb section--might make for an interesting decorative bowl? Picked that up 5 or 6 years ago, long before i owned a lathe. Might need to study it for a few more years!!
earlWalnut Crotch 1.jpg
Walnut Crotch 1.jpg
Walnut Crotch 2.jpg

PreacherJon

Earl.... I envy you on that piece. Looks like you've got some really good pieces in there... It should be fun cutting it up. Again, my favorite wood is walnut. I even like aroma of walnut as it lofts through the air in the shop.

greenacres2

Yep, walnut is a great smell. I'm also in love with Thuya burl, camphor, zebrawood, cinnamon stick castings, cedar, white oak (at times), and about 30 or 90 more!!
earl

GaryMGg

... I finally pulled that chunk out of the corner of the garage last night, looks to have plenty of curl, ...

Earl
This beautiful piece of walnut shows bug holes on the back and possibly frass-filled holes in front.
You might want to split it near the check and make certain nothing is alive in there as it could impact all your timbers.

GraiDawg

I have a practically unlimited supply of walnut crotch wood, roughly 2 3/4 x 3 x 8' it's dry and so far ive not had any cracks or voids. sadly its $25/brick and doesn't fit in a sfrp. up to 3 fit in a mfrp though

Top Bottom