Walnut Entry Door

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from crokett

crokett

I've been working on this door since October. Here's a link to the photos I took along the way

Door - iCloud Photo Sharing

I started with rough walnut stock and did all the planing, jointing and cutting to size. Construction is rail and stile with flat panels. The flat panels are 2 thicknesses of walnut edge glued to form 4 panels, then faceglued to form 2. I was hoping to have it for my wife for Christmas. However I lost a week and a half in December when I was doing test fitting over Thanksgiving and realized the panels were too thick. When I was planing them down I based their thickness on the rough thickness of the rails and stiles, not the finished. I found a commercial place here that was able to thickness sand them down much more quickly and accurately than I could have done with a hand planer.

It's not quite done yet - the finish went on last weekend but the clear coat is not on. I'll install a matte black lockset and hinges when I hang it. I may also add a lite to the upper panel. My wife will have to decide if she wants one or not.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

greenacres2

Great door!! Actually--i also really like your clamping cauls too!! I've got 3 or 4 pairs cut, but i use quick clamps to secure them--often feel like i need a second pair of arms twice as long as i have. Looks like 3 or 4 holes in each end of what i have, a few bolts and wing nuts (or get uptown fancy and use through star knobs!!). Awesome!!

Top Bottom