Walnut Bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bitshird

bitshird

First allow me to apologize for the quality of the photos, the finish is better than it looks on these, the wood is beautiful, and was fun to turn, the bowl is 11 x 3-3/4 and finished wit wipe on poly. Better lighting would also have helped with the glare sorry.

Attachments

• Walnut-Bowl.jpg
    Walnut-Bowl.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 334
  • Walnut-bowl-2.jpg
    Walnut-bowl-2.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 263
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tim self

Nicely done Ken. I for one know how hard it is to get a good photo of walnut in a bowl. Love the finish. The purple is a nice touch too. Don't God do some amazing stuff with wood?

ctubbs

Beautiful bowl, Ken. The grain and finish is wonderful. The only thing I can think of that would make it even better is if the bowl were filled with fresh buttered hot popcorn.
Charles

animefan

Nicely done Ken. I for one know how hard it is to get a good photo of walnut in a bowl. Love the finish. The purple is a nice touch too. Don't God do some amazing stuff with wood?

Tim we cut the tree 3 years ago, got it to a friends saw mill, and we have found some of the most amazing colors and grain patterns I could imagine. This is just a plain black walnut tree, from Tennessee it was a pretty good size tree, we harvested about 160 board feet from it.:biggrin:

Very nice grain in that piece of walnut. Good job on the turning and finish.

Keith, thanks, this turns so easy, I started turning it and left it a 1 inch thick, and was going to let it sit for a long time, BUT a show came up, and we needed stuff for the table,so I turned it down to about 3/8ths then sprayed it with Acrylic, after the show it went back on the lathe turned it down to between a 1/4 and the bottom is still about 3/8ths and did it all with my trusty Unitool, started putting Wipe on Poly and that's it. But now we have to figure out a way to get rid of a bunch of it.:frown: :highfive:

Beautiful bowl, Ken. The grain and finish is wonderful. The only thing I can think of that would make it even better is if the bowl were filled with fresh buttered hot popcorn.
Charles

Charles, Oddly enough I was think the same thing but I had a bunch of teeth pulled Wednesday so I couldn't eat any, but it would be nice chomping on some watching that young Manning boy Whup them Patriots hind ends!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Duh didn't think about being on Andrews computer Ken "the old one"!!!

Last edited:

keithlong

Ken, if you want to bring some of that walnut to the meeting, I will be glad to take some off your hands and turn a bowl or platter from.

drgoretex

Wow! Gorgeous bowls, and amazing finish! Beautiful work!

Hmmm...was planning on turning a couple wine goblets in walnut, but not sure what finish one can use to make it safe for putting wine into them. Any tips?

Ken

bitshird

Wow! Gorgeous bowls, and amazing finish! Beautiful work!

Hmmm...was planning on turning a couple wine goblets in walnut, but not sure what finish one can use to make it safe for putting wine into them. Any tips?

Ken

Coat the inside with Epoxy, one of the members of our wood turning club did a set of 4 in walnut and lined the insides with 15 min epoxy, the trick was to keep turning the goblets while holding them at an angle so the epoxy would thoroughly coat the inside of the walnut. Let the excess pool at the bottom, finish the outside with either a good spray or brush on Poly Wipe on takes forever.

W.Y.

WOW ! ! beautiful work and great choice of wood.
Walnut is one of my favorites but very scarce and expensive out here in softwood forest country.

Top Bottom