walnut bowl looks like a upsidedown hat

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dale Lynch

Dale Lynch

Another project I should have shown sooner.My coworker gave me a walnut crotch last winter.I was able to get a 12x6 bowl out of it.I tried to do something different than the useual shapes I've done.Was going for a hat look.Finishing this was a first because I tried to french polish it.Never done that before, took forever it seemed.

Attachments

• DSCF4662.jpg
    DSCF4662.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 215
  • DSCF4660.jpg
    DSCF4660.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 225
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Looks great. Question: was the bowl blank a tad green? It looks like it warped just a bit, as does green wood. Being as it looks like a hat, it makes it look more realistic.

I know people who deliberately use some green wood just so it will warp and give it more character.

Dale Lynch

Jesse, french polish is a technique of padding on shellac in very time consuming and arm tiring manner.Usually done on flat surfaces like furniture and walls.

Hank, yeah it was still green, It's moved a bit but not as much as some other green turned bowls I've done.

donstephan

Shallow bowls, more like platters, I have turned from the base of large forks have warped significantly as they were drying - I make once turned bowls. My understanding is that wood at the base of forks is considered unstable.

Possibly the thicker base of the bowl will reduce the amount of warping.

Pretty bowl with some spectacular grain inside the bowl.... finish is perfect too.

I tend to use wood as I get it, green or otherwise... rarely worry about warp. I've turned wood that was so green my shirtsleeve was wet from the water slung out of it. Surprisingly, not much warp to that particular bowl.... if I do feel it's too green, after i get it turned to near final shape, I'll microwave the bowl to dry... 3 minutes in the MW, let it cool, 3 more minutes, cool it, repeat until I'm satisfied with the moisture content.

Top Bottom