Walnut Bowl and crushed Lapis

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from elody21

elody21

otherthingswemakewalnetbowl.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

marcruby

It's a pretty piece of wood. I'm not sure about the crushed lapis. I would have used something powdered to create a smoother surface - maybe even tried to match the darkest grain.

Am I reading the light wrong or does the bottom go flat and then ripple a bit?

Marc

elody21

The lapis is totally smooth. It was my first try on something large and my last. I had to sand it with a craft sander. That is a small devise that holds a loop of sandpaper. The void wasn't there when I began the bowl. Yes, sawdust or something softer would have been much eaiser!

marcruby

I don't see any reason to declare it your last large bowl, it just requires some technical adjustments. Most of the people I know who turn large bowls use larger tools, and often use heavy scrapers to final shape the bottom. Both attacks help to keep the bottom under control.

Marc

elody21

No I did not mean my last large bowl I meant my last one with crushed stone. I gave it as a gift so I am not sure if it is the lighting or if there is a ripple

S

spiritwoodturner

Marc, not sure what you mean by a "smoother surface". I fill voids all the time, and much prefer crushed to powdered stone. Powdered stone, to me, looks fake, like powdered plastic or something. Crushed gives me, and I believe my customers, the feeling that an actual stone or shell product is in there. The only places I ever use powdered anything is if the void is too narrow, which I'm doing right now on a peppermill. Just my preference, I'm probably not getting what you're saying. I finish with a coating of thick CA, so it's every bit as smooth as the surrounding suface.

And Alice, not only keep trying, but LOOK for woods with voids in them! In my opinion, they're gold, unless of course they're to be used for food service, then they're useless. Otherwise, real artistic possibilities come in when you get LOTS of voids. I'm even making voids on purpose now, a la Stephen Hatcher, where I carve a scene into the bowl or platter and fill with crushed stone or shell. I have nothing to show for it because it seems to take half a lifetime to learn the cutting/carving part, but I WILL get there! As far as a nice smooth transition on the bottom, Marc's right, get the heaviest, thickest scraper you can find, learn how to sharpen and use it, and use a super light touch. Then practice, practice, pratice. Trust me, the person you gave the bowl to as a gift is already treasuring it.

Good job.

Dale

P.S. I could not live without my Sioux sander!

marcruby

Marc, not sure what you mean by a "smoother surface".

The fill looks kind of ragged and dark in the picture. I prefer more color or even metallics. In this case I would probably have tried to match the dark reddish brown of the grain or done nothing at all. Remember, if a bowl has a hole in it - it's art!!

Marc

Top Bottom