Walnut Beer Faucet Handles

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska.

This morning I turned three new beer faucet handles out of some Black Walnut. I started by drilling and tapping 3/8-16 threads in one end of each spindle blank and then turned them down using a bottle stopper mandrel (which also has 3/8-16 threads). The finish is Doctor's Woodshop Walnut Finishing Oil and Pens Plus (Walnut Oil, Shellac, and microaggregated microcrystal wax. It was a pretty unremarkable turn, but they turned out pretty nice compared to the stubby little black plastic faucet handles that I had. (I probably should have made them from Oak so they complemented the rest of the wood, but I didn't have any Oak spindle material.

Regards,
Dave

IMG_3132 Cropped.jpg
Click on Thumbnail to Enlarge

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Humongous

Hi Dave:

I like the contrast of the walnut. I think the handles would get lost if they were made from oak. Nice work and a nice setup, are those from a local craft brewery?

egnald

Hi Dave:

I like the contrast of the walnut. I think the handles would get lost if they were made from oak. Nice work and a nice setup, are those from a local craft brewery?
Well, sort of. I get some beer and soda from our local craft brewery, Gottberg Brew Pub which is part of Dusters Restaurant here in Columbus. I also occasionally brew my own at home but with the equipment I have I need to go outside to boil 5 gallons at a time and the weather here in Nebraska is only favorable for that about 6-9 months out of the year.

I am in the process of downsizing from 5 gallons to 2 gallons for brewing though since I can boil 2 gallons in the kitchen rather than having to go outside to cook 5 gallons - so I will be able to brew regardless of the weather outside. Two gallon batches also fits my keg setup a little better than 5 gallons. The mini refrigerator under the basement stairs that feeds these taps can hold 3 kegs but one has to be only 2.5 gallons. Using three 2.5 gallon kegs should make things a lot easier.

On tap right now is a Wheat Ale, a Light Beer, and a Red Cream Soda.
I have ingredients on order to make an Irish Red next.
And the weather forecast is for 10 to 16 inches of snow tomorrow.

Dave

Top Bottom