Walnut and CA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

montmill

The walnut I'm using is from the root and it's very open pored with a few open spots. Usually I use a thin CA and sanding dust to fill in the pores and other spots to get a completely smooth surface before the final finish. Should I use Gluboost as the CA right away or could I use another brand of CA and after dry finish with Gluboost? In other words, are all CA's compatible?

jttheclockman

The finisher in me wants to say no because I know all finishes are not the same and can have bad outcomes when mixed. But not knowing anything about gluboost I will leave that one to others. But the general statement are all CA's compatible the answer I would give is no. Will they adhere on top of one another, probably but why take a chance.

Kenny Durrant

I'll comment about a mixture of the last two threads. I talked to the guy at Mercury Adhesives and he asked if I was using his regular or flex CAs. I Saudi have both. He said don't mix them because they don't like each other. I know Glue Boost is similar to the Mercury Flexible. Just on that observation I wouldn't mix any of the specialized CAs with the regulars. As far as filling your holes I'd be cautious about using CA dust because of it turning white. Other than that do whatever is easiest and looked the best to you.

montmill

I did use thin Gluboost a little at a time and sanded so the dust went into the pores and inclusions. It took a long time and took the advice given about cleaning with DA after each time. Once it was all even I finished using Gluboost thick, three coats and thin four coats. Through the Zona grits and the three Novis steps and a final buff with Ren. Wax Junior George walnut pen for Dr. Hennesy Gluboost.JPG

Top Bottom