Wally World complaint: Price scanner

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Two days ago, LOML and I were in a Walmart close to our doctors offices (and a Walmart we rarely use). She wanted some fertilizer for our (her) azaleas. They had only1 type in a large bag like we needed. Price said $8.88 and I didn't pay attention to it that much or would have realized it wasn't right for a 40lb bag of 10-10-10.

I checked out and the price seemed kinda high, but I paid for several other things LOML put into the cart. At the car, I noticed that the fertilizer was priced at $22.99. I went back in, went to the fertilizer section and noticed that everything had been scooted down one place, so my mistake since the $8.88 was for a smaller bag. The 40lb shelf tag did not have a price. I pulled out my phone, opened the Walmart app and used the price check app: $18.97. I went to get the bag and bring it back, but the lady at the door said I didn't need to bring it in, - just Show the price to the service center and show the receipt for what I was charged.

(MY RANT): At the service center, I showed the price on my phone and the price I was charged on the receipt. The lady said: "That $18.97 is the price if you order it online from this store, not the price if you buy it here." I pointed out, the scanner on the phone gives the price that it is THE STORE PRICE That I am in. She called for someone from the Patio and Garden department; they came fairly quickly. I explained the situation and he said: "That $18.97 is the price if you order it online from this store, not the price if you buy it here." I said, this is a scam, my phone says "The Price for this Store," and it says NOTHING about ordering it from this store.

Then I ask for a manager. (I have used the price checker app many times other Walmarts and never had a problem with checkout price and price checker price). The service center lady called for the manager. I wanted a full 5 minutes, and asked when the manager was coming? The lady said, She is in a meeting for the next 30 minutes! I looked at her and said: "You could have at least told me that. I will go get the bag and bring it back and get my money back and buy it from my local Walmart." THEN she said "Give me your receipt and I will refund the difference."

Have any of you had problems with Walmart charging more than the price the Walmart app scanner says?

Their logic is just dumb and aggravating!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

Yes I've seen it. Yes it is aggravating. I have been doing my level best to not let it get to me. Not what you want to hear, but I'm slowly learning my mental health is worth more than 4 bucks. Just let it go Ken, is my new mantra.

bsshog40

Walmart had gone waaaay downhill since Sam Walton passed. My wife was a manager for them for 15 yrs. After Sam passed, customer service fell to the pits. She eventually just quit and went to a different company. My descriptionfor Walmart is, "Distributor for China and low quality products".

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Canada has a scanning code of practice -if the price is higher than displayed on the shelf, you get $10 off (or free, if the item costs less than that). No one really knows about it, and I won't bug them if they change the price, but if they make me wait and go get a manager, etc, then I'll ask for the discount.

egnald

I've suffered through pretty much the same thing at our local store. Oh, that's the online price, you (me) will have to order it to get that price then have it shipped to the store for pickup. -- But you have the exact thing on the shelf. It didn't matter. So, I ordered the item, and did pay more, because I ordered it from Target.

Since a change in management a couple of years ago our local store has been a disaster. The shelves are always either empty or in a complete shambles with products scattered all over the place and not even remotely close to where the price tags are. They are frequently out of eggs and nobody ever pushes the dairy forward so it is virtually impossible to reach it. All this while there are unopened boxes of inventory sitting on pallets down the aisle on the endcap side of the rows.

All this while the employees stand around in their secret circles gossiping. The only shelves that are kept in good order are soda pop, bread, and potato chips as they are all stocked by merchandisers that work for their respective distributors and not for Walmart.

I still go there to shop though, but only because retail is very limited in our community and the only real competition is 50 miles away. I have noticed it getting a little better in the past couple of weeks though, maybe it has come under new management.

Whew, I feel better now.
Dave

More Grumpy

Well, I'll tell you what kind of guy I am. Last month I decided I needed a new router. I shopped around online and found one that fit my needs for $179. at the blue store. Next morning I went and picked one up, (but they didnt have the bit that I needed for my project) BUT... when the nice lady at the register rang it up it came up at $149. ! Did I correct her? Nope! Figured that after all these years they probably zinged me at least that much.
So then off to the orange store in search of the needed router bit... they had it, shelf price of $39. and change. Nice lady at the register rang it up and it's $44. and change, you bet I said something! She did a price check on it and I got it for the shelf price.
But, the situation did bother me to realize what kind of person I was. I'm working on improving myself.
In the end, the blue store put that router on sale that same week for the $149. and honored that price a few days early! I appreciate them for that!

MRDucks2

Best Buy was my favorite from 2010 to 2016 in Texas. They were trying to redefine themselves and some of the local stores in the Houston area had a habit of removing sale pricing from displays in store while on sale. I'm not sure how many times I walked into a store, checked the price from latest sale brochure, asked for a price check and then checked buy-on-line pick up in store price. The buy on line, pick up in store was significantly cheaper 90% of the time. So I would order online while in the store, wait for my receipt to come through and go get my item. What really peeved me was them pulling the sales price and leaving the price blank. When you asked for a price they would always give regular price and you would have to challenge them.

Velcrodog

Two days ago, LOML and I were in a Walmart close to our doctors offices (and a Walmart we rarely use). She wanted some fertilizer for our (her) azaleas. They had only1 type in a large bag like we needed. Price said $8.88 and I didn't pay attention to it that much or would have realized it wasn't right for a 40lb bag of 10-10-10.

I checked out and the price seemed kinda high, but I paid for several other things LOML put into the cart. At the car, I noticed that the fertilizer was priced at $22.99. I went back in, went to the fertilizer section and noticed that everything had been scooted down one place, so my mistake since the $8.88 was for a smaller bag. The 40lb shelf tag did not have a price. I pulled out my phone, opened the Walmart app and used the price check app: $18.97. I went to get the bag and bring it back, but the lady at the door said I didn't need to bring it in, - just Show the price to the service center and show the receipt for what I was charged.

(MY RANT): At the service center, I showed the price on my phone and the price I was charged on the receipt. The lady said: "That $18.97 is the price if you order it online from this store, not the price if you buy it here." I pointed out, the scanner on the phone gives the price that it is THE STORE PRICE That I am in. She called for someone from the Patio and Garden department; they came fairly quickly. I explained the situation and he said: "That $18.97 is the price if you order it online from this store, not the price if you buy it here." I said, this is a scam, my phone says "The Price for this Store," and it says NOTHING about ordering it from this store.

Then I ask for a manager. (I have used the price checker app many times other Walmarts and never had a problem with checkout price and price checker price). The service center lady called for the manager. I wanted a full 5 minutes, and asked when the manager was coming? The lady said, She is in a meeting for the next 30 minutes! I looked at her and said: "You could have at least told me that. I will go get the bag and bring it back and get my money back and buy it from my local Walmart." THEN she said "Give me your receipt and I will refund the difference."

Have any of you had problems with Walmart charging more than the price the Walmart app scanner says?

Their logic is just dumb and aggravating!
Kroger in my town is great on bait and dwitch prices. Got into it with manager about it but he said he was the expert and his word is final. So, in front of him I call the coroprate office and explained what was going on. He was put on the phone with them
End result I got the items at the lower price and a courtesy 30.00 credit. The squeaky wheel...

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Kroger in my town is great on bait and dwitch prices. Got into it with manager about it but he said he was the expert and his word is final. So, in front of him I call the coroprate office and explained what was going on. He was put on the phone with them
End result I got the items at the lower price and a courtesy 30.00 credit. The squeaky wheel...
... got a deal as they felt the negative publicity of a complaint was not worth the threat... A very logical, common corporate decision. I would have made the same decision. I hope you are happy with what you got.

Velcrodog

... got a deal as they felt the negative publicity of a complaint was not worth the threat... A very logical, common corporate decision. I would have made the same decision. I hope you are happy with what you got.
I was. It also looks like the store has quit the B and S. I think the mgr was counseled by corporate since I dont think that was corp policy.

This is a little off topic, but it's pretty amazing how some store managers think.... I worked a local borg a few years back... we were having some trouble with theft.... people would handled and admire a power tool and then walk out of the store with it.....one shift my supervisor had me attach a cable to all the corded hand tools in my department... I spent 8 hours attaching a wire cable to each tool and anchoring it to the display rack. Very common in a lot of stores...... next shift, next day, a higher up in the chain of command had me remove all the cables... said it was insulting to customers....

Woodchipper

We haven't shopped at Wally World since Shep was a pup. 1. Have to park in another ZIP code. 2. Crowded and have to wait in the checkout line; don't trust the self check out. 3. Have heard from several people that many products were second rate. 4. Remeber when "Buy American" was the byword; now gone the way of the dinosaur. 5. Wife gets claustrophobic at WW.

calabrese55

WARNING LONG WINDED WALMART COMPLAINT BELOW...PROCEED AT YOUR OWN BOREDOM

I had a **** poor experience with a Wallyworld employee some months ago. Electronics department all I wanted was an ink cartridge for my walmart purchased printer.
Carts are in a glass locked case.
I walked to the counter and asked the guy there to assist me . You could tell he was not interested, I clearly was bothering him.
Follows me over to the case open it and stands there and glares at me. I ask for two carts the standard and the extra big and expensive one I what was the difference between the two ......... he snaped an answer "they are both black ink cartridges".
I picked the cheap @ $23.00 he closes the case like it was my fault they were locked up in the first place and we go back to the counter where he was napping originally. He ran the ticket scan and literally tossed the cartridge at me pulled the receipt and handed it at me while he was walking away. Normally I would have said something like sorry to trouble you sir possibly the crappy pay you get here is connected with the crappy way you treat customers. I did not say anything , I know the guy he is at least 35 years old and is normally an angary at life type.
Additionally I worked with his mom for many years and we are friends.

My water boils while I drive home so on the computer I go look up on wallyworld site how to file a complaint. Receipt number, all relative details, time, date, what i bought everything but his name that i absolutely know . Included my name , phone and email address

Couple days later I get a call from the wallyworld manager. First thing I know is he is on a speaker phone and there others in the room you could hear them shuffling chairs around. He never advises me there may be others listening in or if the conversation is recorded you know for "training purposes" . He starts firing questions at me what , when, where and most important WHO was the employee by name or physical description. I didn't fall for that crap and told manager
#1 you have the receipt number from my email
#2 you have video cameras in the secure area
#3 you have the date and time of the exact transaction from your register / computer system
#4 You know exactly what I bought and who assisted me with the purchase
#5 you have a complete written detail form my signed and delivered email following Walmart directions.

I told the manager and the room I am not going to do your dirty work, I am not going to pick this guy out of a lineup because you don't want to stick your neck out.
You have everything you need to take any action if you see fit or just let it go away.
His comment well we just need you to help us understand the complete situation. BULL SQUIRT
This is from wallyworld web about customer complaints / service

Walmart takes all reported concerns or allegations seriously. We confidentially review each ethics allegation to determine if any law, policy or the Code of Conduct has been violated and assign for investigation where appropriate.

I Bid them all a good day and cut the call at that point.......... total waste of time and effort.
The employee in question is still drawing a wallyworld pay check electronics dept. and old Sam must be spinning in his grave.
calabrese55

We haven't shopped at Wally World since Shep was a pup. 1. Have to park in another ZIP code. 2. Crowded and have to wait in the checkout line; don't trust the self check out. 3. Have heard from several people that many products were second rate. 4. Remeber when "Buy American" was the byword; now gone the way of the dinosaur. 5. Wife gets claustrophobic at WW.
Back in the mid 80s I worked for a company that did custom clearance... I was the export manager, but when exports were slow, I got called on to work with the brokers... Walmart was pushing their "We buy American" very heavily in those days.... one of our biggest brokerage clients was Walmart....we cleared container after container for them and forwarded them on the their distribution center in Arkansas.

Also think we cleared orange juice from Brazil that was sold as Florida orange juice... if I remember correctly, it arrived in bulk ocean container ships. Didn't clear that for Walmart, don't remember the customer now... too long ago.

Todd in PA

Our local Walmart is pretty fantastic, actually. During covid, they stopped charging for curb pickup, and my wife is still using it. Shop on the computer for all the groceries. Pull in and they're loaded in the trunk. Off you go. If they don't have something, they give you a bigger box for the same price. If there's any hiccup (item missing, damaged), in three clicks you get a full refund of the item. Don't even have to bring it back. In 2 years, I've only made one return. One time I picked up the groceries for my wife and as the lady loaded up the bags she asked "where's Shannon this morning". I don't know is a compliment to my wife's memorable personality, or the customer service.

Now her sisters Walmart down near Philly is terrible. The order is always jacked up to the point that she quit using it. So your mileage is going to vary. Widely.

Sorry to disrupt your rants and jeers! 😜 You can carry in now…

jrista

I've suffered through pretty much the same thing at our local store. Oh, that's the online price, you (me) will have to order it to get that price then have it shipped to the store for pickup. -- But you have the exact thing on the shelf. It didn't matter. So, I ordered the item, and did pay more, because I ordered it from Target.

Since a change in management a couple of years ago our local store has been a disaster. The shelves are always either empty or in a complete shambles with products scattered all over the place and not even remotely close to where the price tags are. They are frequently out of eggs and nobody ever pushes the dairy forward so it is virtually impossible to reach it. All this while there are unopened boxes of inventory sitting on pallets down the aisle on the endcap side of the rows.

All this while the employees stand around in their secret circles gossiping. The only shelves that are kept in good order are soda pop, bread, and potato chips as they are all stocked by merchandisers that work for their respective distributors and not for Walmart.

I still go there to shop though, but only because retail is very limited in our community and the only real competition is 50 miles away. I have noticed it getting a little better in the past couple of weeks though, maybe it has come under new management.

Whew, I feel better now.
Dave
I've experienced this with an increasing frequency where I love. The "Secret Gossip Circles" are the most frustrating thing. There is not one care in the world for the customer anymore, and that fact is spreading from grocery, to everything, it appears. Sad, the utter decline of western commerce.

Top Bottom