Wallstreet II click retract problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JMLampke

I recently decided to make some wallstreet II click pens to go with some pencils. Once I put them together (3 of them) I noticed that they don't fully retract. Is there anything I can do to fix this? I have pulled one of them apart to try and play with the mechanism but no luck yet.
20210703_193602.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mr Vic

Did you use the tubes from the kits? Wall St II twist tubes are shorter then the click. You could trim some of the black plastic end off on the refill. Not the ideal fix if you're selling or gifting.

tomas

I have had similar problems with click pens. I use a pen press wen assembling the pens. I found that if I put a .5" piece of blank with a .25" hole drilled through it and place the clicker end in the hole, it keeps the click mechanism from being damaged.

Tomas

JMLampke

Did you use the tubes from the kits? Wall St II twist tubes are shorter then the click. You could trim some of the black plastic end off on the refill. Not the ideal fix if you're selling or gifting.
Yes I used the tubes from the click pen package. First thing I noticed was it was a longer tube.

JMLampke

I have had similar problems with click pens. I use a pen press wen assembling the pens. I found that if I put a .5" piece of blank with a .25" hole drilled through it and place the clicker end in the hole, it keeps the click mechanism from being damaged.

Tomas
Interesting didn't think about the mech being damaged. It clicks just don't go in the pen all the way. Like the pen is short.

Jans husband

I started a post a few days ago which is still running about the "Sierra click pen problem", with exactly the same problem. The info and input there may be useful to you.
I am not familiar with your kit, but the nib section looks just like the Sierra I have problems with, so the problems may be directly related to each other.

I will follow your thread with interest.

Mike

JMLampke

I started a post a few days ago which is still running about the "Sierra click pen problem", with exactly the same problem. The info and input there may be useful to you.
I am not familiar with your kit, but the nib section looks just like the Sierra I have problems with, so the problems may be directly related to each other.

I will follow your thread with interest.

Mike
After looking at your post I would agree there basically the same kit. I have found that different sellers have different names for the same thing. Woodcraft sells it as wallstreet II, rockler sells it as Manhattan. I'll be watching your post as well.

turnit2020

The Wallstreet II pens are the exact same thing as the Berea Hardwoods Sierra series. Woodcraft gets their Wallstreet pen kits from Berea but market them under the woodcraft name wallstreet. Wallstreet III is the same as the Sierra Vista.
Next one you do leave about 1/16 or so material on the blank. Could solve your problem with extra length and should not effect the strength.
Turncrazy43

magpens

@JMLampke

Interesting didn't think about the mech being damaged. It clicks just don't go in the pen all the way. Like the pen is short.

Further to the remarks by "tomas", above, I just checked out the instructions that Woodcraft provides for the Wallstreet II.
They do not emphasize the caution required for pressing in the finial with a "sacrificial push-block" enough in my opinion.
Some of the other suppliers of this kit are much more emphatic about the risk of damaging the click mechanism (which can result in the problem you are experiencing). . If you consult the Berea website for the Sierra Button Click pen kit, they warn strongly against pressing on the button. . I will summarize the instructions from both Woodcraft and Berea below .

Firstly, the Woodcraft instructions about using a so-called "sacrificial push-block" ..... the WARNING IS NOT STRONG ENOUGH :-

Assembly: Style A
1. Press Threaded Nib Adapter (B) into one end of Body (C) until flush with the end of the tube.
2. Next, using a sacrificial push-block with a 1/4" hole, 3/8" deep, press the Finial/Clip Assembly (D) into the opposite end of the tube. This will allow the pressing force to be placed on the Finial, not the Button.
3. Slide Spring (E) over the Ink Refill (F). Using your hands press the Refill Adapter (G) into the hole in the center of the black upper end of the Ink Refill (F).
4. Insert the Ink Refill Assembly (E, F, G) spring end first into Nib (A) and thread into the open end of the Body (C).

Secondly, for comparison, here is a link to the corresponding assembly instructions on the Berea website :-

Have a look at the tone of their warning in which they stress the importance of not pushing on the button :-

1. Press the finial/button click assembly into one end of your finished blank. It is important to use a block of wood, or other material, with a hole drilled to allow the button on the click assembly to pass through. This will allow the pressing force to be placed on the finial and NOT on the button. Pressing on the button itself will damage the button click mechanism.

OF COURSE, you would have no reason to go to the Berea website when you bought your pen kit from Woodcraft.
And, I AM NOT PREACHING, but just trying to back up the suggestion by "tomas" above.

It is just a pity that Woodcraft, when they adopted the Berea Sierra kit design, that they did not import the complete instruction set as well.

It is NOT YOUR FAULT that you did not have access to the emphatic warning. . In fact, you would have a case in going back to Woodcraft and complaining that their instructions are inadequate. . They could ( and should ) actually provide you with a replacement pen kit.

I hope you don't mind my pointing this out.

Fortunately, I started with Berea products and became aware of this issue very early on before I had the misfortune of ruining a pen.

JMLampke

@JMLampke

Further to the remarks by "tomas", above, I just checked out the instructions that Woodcraft provides for the Wallstreet II.
They do not emphasize the caution required for pressing in the finial with a "sacrificial push-block" enough in my opinion.
Some of the other suppliers of this kit are much more emphatic about the risk of damaging the click mechanism (which can result in the problem you are experiencing). . If you consult the Berea website for the Sierra Button Click pen kit, they warn strongly against pressing on the button. . I will summarize the instructions from both Woodcraft and Berea below .

Firstly, the Woodcraft instructions about using a so-called "sacrificial push-block" ..... the WARNING IS NOT STRONG ENOUGH :-

Assembly: Style A
1. Press Threaded Nib Adapter (B) into one end of Body (C) until flush with the end of the tube.
2. Next, using a sacrificial push-block with a 1/4" hole, 3/8" deep, press the Finial/Clip Assembly (D) into the opposite end of the tube. This will allow the pressing force to be placed on the Finial, not the Button.
3. Slide Spring (E) over the Ink Refill (F). Using your hands press the Refill Adapter (G) into the hole in the center of the black upper end of the Ink Refill (F).
4. Insert the Ink Refill Assembly (E, F, G) spring end first into Nib (A) and thread into the open end of the Body (C).

Secondly, for comparison, here is a link to the corresponding assembly instructions on the Berea website :-

Have a look at the tone of their warning in which they stress the importance of not pushing on the button :-

1. Press the finial/button click assembly into one end of your finished blank. It is important to use a block of wood, or other material, with a hole drilled to allow the button on the click assembly to pass through. This will allow the pressing force to be placed on the finial and NOT on the button. Pressing on the button itself will damage the button click mechanism.

OF COURSE, you would have no reason to go to the Berea website when you bought your pen kit from Woodcraft.
And, I AM NOT PREACHING, but just trying to back up the suggestion by "tomas" above.

It is just a pity that Woodcraft, when they adopted the Berea Sierra kit design, that they did not import the complete instruction set as well.

It is NOT YOUR FAULT that you did not have access to the emphatic warning. . In fact, you would have a case in going back to Woodcraft and complaining that their instructions are inadequate. . They could ( and should ) actually provide you with a replacement pen kit.

I hope you don't mind my pointing this out.

Fortunately, I started with Berea products and became aware of this issue very early on before I had the misfortune of ruining a pen.
Wow thank you Makes a lot of sense to me. I will definitely be complaining to woodcraft about it.

magpens

BTW ... if anyone wishes to go to the Berea website and check the instructions .....

Due to the large number of Sierra kits with all types of button click mechanisms, I recommend that you do the following.
On the Berea website home page, do a search for "Sierra".
This will produce 5 pages of "hits".
Go to the third page, and select the "Sierra Button Click Ballpoint Pen Chrome 7502N_B-CHR".
Select this kit.
Scroll down to the word "Instructions" and click.
You will be presented with a line of text in a blue color, reading "Instructions on Sierra® Button Click Ballpoint Pen - Chrome"
Click on this line of text.
This will bring up onto your screen, 3 pages of instructions.
Scroll to the Third Page.
Underneath the text line "Assemble the pen" you will see a picture showing the component pieces laid out.
Underneath this picture, you will see Step 1 of the assembly procedure, most of the text in this step being RED.
The RED portion is of the utmost importance, and it is the portion that I have copied in my post previous to this post.
It is that RED text which includes the most important info for the assembly process.

Some of you may be wondering why the finding of these printed assembly instructions is so cumbersome. . I don't really know.
But ... the Sierra pen kit from Berea has had a long history, even before Woodcraft adopted that design for its product, the Wallstreet.
There are now a large number of Sierra pen kits in the Berea collection of pen kits.
The names of the variants of the Sierra pen kits are all very similar.
Strangely, even if you know the name of the particular variant style that you wish to examine, Berea's search engine does NOT WORK WELL.
In fact, Berea's search engine might miss the one you want, strange as that might seem.

The Sierra products have been evolving for over 20 years. . Some of the original designs are still available, along with the modern variants.
Some of the original designs have been discontinued. . There seems to be no consistency to the discontinuation process.
Some styles and/or platings have gone while others are still offered.
It would seem that the search engine has not been accurately updated to keep track of everything.

So I have developed the search procedure which works for me and is outlined above . . I hope it works for you also.

One final comment. . I believe that Berea will soon have to "clean house" on all the Sierra variants, and things will continue to change.
There are some VERY nice modern variants which will persist. .
If you can, focus your attention on those with the words "Elegant", "Beauty" and ESPECIALLY the word "Super" in the Sierra kit names.
The "Super" CLICK kits really are "super", because they employ an all-metal German click mechanism, called the SKM-88 from Schmidt.

For the time being, the kit which @JMLampke has used and reported in this thread is still being sold but, I EXPECT, NOT FOR LONG.
( Of course, I could be wrong because I don't know the "mind of Berea". . But, keep a watchful eye open and choose kits carefully. )

Of course, ... also ... other vendors who have adopted the Sierra design and renamed it in the adoption process, could do their own thing.
None of us can control any of that. . The company Woodcraft has their own control of their "Wallstreet" variant of the Berea Sierra kit.
Similarly, the Rockler company has their own control of their "Manhattan" variant of the Berea Sierra kit.
There are quite a few other companies with other variants of the same original Berea Sierra kit design.

Some of you may feel inclined to dismiss my warnings/advice. . But I have been following the Sierra line and its clones from other companies for going on 15 years as one of my pet projects. . . I have tried to summarize my take on the situation based on my actual experiences.

Some others of our members, notably @leehljp ( see his recent thread on this subject ), are also following Sierra developments closely.

Last edited:

JMLampke

An update.
Interested of returning the kits to woodcraft. I decided to try and fix them. I was successful. What I did was disassemble the pen then disassemble the mechanism by unscrewing the button and the bottom of the mechanism then using a piece of scrap to protect the clip put it in the press and pushed it back in. Then reassembled this time making sure to do it as the Berea instructions said not woodcraft.

Jans husband

Like "The A Team"!!!
Nice when a plan comes together.
I think we have both learned that when assembling a click pen pay a lot more attention to the seating of the click mechanism before doing the rest of the assembly.
Mike

Top Bottom