wall mounted work bench

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

markgum

Hi;
has anyone built a wall mounted work bench? My kids' high school was 'downsizing" and gave away the work bench's. I was able to grab one. currently have it sitting on a set of sawhorses. Since I need to be creative with shop space just looking for some lessons learned on doing this. the bench is about 60 inches long by 24 inches deep and 2 1/4 inches thick. HEAVY so finding the wall studs will be necessary to mount it. probably not going to put it on wheels since it is such a heavy piece of wood. I'm searching through the hundreds of videos on You Tube.
TIA
mark

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Muddydogs

If it's just a flat bench top with no framing then a 2x6 stringer mounted to the wall for the bench to set on is the way to go. If the bench has some framing you can just secure that to the wall studs. Add 2 to 3 4x4 legs to support the front of the bench and your good to go.
Pics are of the bench I built in my shop. 2x4 framing, 3/4 ply deck and 3x4 and 4x4 legs as I had a couple cutoffs of both sizes. The blocking in the first photo is were my vise got mounted.

Attachments

• PXL_20221106_153008996.jpg
    PXL_20221106_153008996.jpg
    380.8 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_20221106_160928_01.jpg
    IMG_20221106_160928_01.jpg
    424.3 KB · Views: 70

carlmorrell

I made one years ago, and still use it occasionally. It was primarily for a 4x4 veneering bag. I used lag screws, bigger than I needed in the studs. The two legs are mounted with hinges and a cross brace for support. Today, and most days, it is behind one of my roll-aways. I just have a melamine board for the top, again maounted to the 2x4 with hinges

Muddydogs

I'm sure you could find a set of wheels on Amazon that will handle the weight with no issues if you really want wheels. Even a light pair of wheels are rated for a couple 100 pounds. What's the bench weight? 100 pounds? 200 pounds? Even 400 pounds is only putting 100 pounds per caster.

These casters are rated for 1200 pounds per 4 and have no issues rolling around my rolling work bench, table saw, cutoff wood storage cart or lathe. DICASAL 4 Inch Heavy Duty Stem Casters 360 Degree Swivel Thread Wheels with Metric Size M12-1.75 Screw Bolt Double Locking Brake Castor Wheel Load Capacity Upto 1200 Lbs Pack of Four https://a.co/d/fmuz9mz

RGABEL

I have a Wall mounted bench (about 16' in length) with my miter saw in the middle. It is attached using the French Cleat system. There are two rails (upper and lower) that gussets hang from. There is a secondary stringer towards the front of the work surface to keep from swaying (there is one on the back of the work surface for the cleat connection). Used angle clips to attach the top to the gussets and stringers. Frees up a lot of the underneath space as there are no legs to the floor. Very solid and sturdy.

dfolk

I had a 12' long and 3" thick top and built a frame under half and attached the ends to the wall. It was a little extra material but easy to do.

Attachments

• IMG_4492.jpeg
    IMG_4492.jpeg
    396.1 KB · Views: 56
Top Bottom