"Walking Stick" texture for pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Wmcullen

Wmcullen

a3.jpg

After turning the rough shape, I mounted the pens on a router bed and made light, freehand cuts before sanding.
It reminds me of a "walking stick." My son thought it made them look faux hand carved.
a1.jpg

To make cuts I mounted the upper and lower pen pieces on a bar using a setup similar to:
https://www.penturners.org/threads/facet-with-a-twist.169923/

Thanks for looking,
- Cullen

Attachments

• a2.jpg
    a2.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 74
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

I appreciate your thought process and your execution, but they would be a hard pass for me.

Pretty cool Cullen. Knowing your background with Scouts I'm pretty sure any young Scout would love to have a pen like this as a reminder of a special camp out or summer camp/Philmont. During my Scouting days every boy (girls weren't allowed in yet) Scout wanted to whittle on a stick to make a walking stick. I actually still have my sons walking stick from 35+ years ago. Cool idea!

sorcerertd

I love your knack for innovation, Cullen. This isn't something I would do, but it does give them a truly hand made look. In any case, this method would certainly make some finishes extremely difficult to apply.

AllanS

Pretty cool Cullen. Knowing your background with Scouts I'm pretty sure any young Scout would love to have a pen like this as a reminder of a special camp out or summer camp/Philmont. During my Scouting days every boy (girls weren't allowed in yet) Scout wanted to whittle on a stick to make a walking stick. I actually still have my sons walking stick from 35+ years ago. Cool idea!
Or an old scout. :) I like 'em myself. Wonder if the scouting angle is why.

Wmcullen

Thanks all for the feedback!!
Tom:
You're probably onto something! I'm gearing up for a two-week trip to Philmont next month and have been putting some pens together to take out for the "lifelong friends" I'm about to meet. I always love giving pens as gifts at Scouting events... they're the perfect mix of "craft" and "utility" without being too expensive. That's a big reason why I use slimline kits.

Which reminds me... last year I volunteered at this same program (Philmont Leadership Challenge) and on the final evening of the course, brought out my case of pens and invited my fellow faculty to look them over and take one if they wish. There's one person I'll be there with again this year who does high-end construction in the San Diego area... a fantastic Scouter and awesome human being. Wood is his business and he wasn't as easily impressed as everyone else... honestly I started to sweat it a little. Until he held up a pen and asked what kind of wood it was. IT WAS THE KOA THAT YOU'D GIVEN ME. He got wistful and said he loves Hawaii, wants to retire there and that his dog is named Koa. I felt that was a Big WIn and I have you to thank!!

Or an old scout. :) I like 'em myself. Wonder if the scouting angle is why.
Allan:
I went to an Eagle ceremony last month (with an engraved pen in tow of course) and noticed the opening invocation was given by my boss's boss's boss. He was wearing a Scout uniform. It's fun to see the unexpected connections that exist through Scouting!

I love your knack for innovation, Cullen. This isn't something I would do, but it does give them a truly hand made look. In any case, this method would certainly make some finishes extremely difficult to apply.
Todd:
Regarding finishing, you're right! I did some sanding on the lathe followed by hand sanding. I applied my finish with the lathe turned on and with it turned off, using a buffing wheel on my drill. The result works well enough... but probably not up to the standards I'd want for a higher-end pen. ; )

Thanks
- Cullen

BoonareeBurl

Thanks all for the feedback!!

Tom:
You're probably onto something! I'm gearing up for a two-week trip to Philmont next month and have been putting some pens together to take out for the "lifelong friends" I'm about to meet. I always love giving pens as gifts at Scouting events... they're the perfect mix of "craft" and "utility" without being too expensive. That's a big reason why I use slimline kits.

Which reminds me... last year I volunteered at this same program (Philmont Leadership Challenge) and on the final evening of the course, brought out my case of pens and invited my fellow faculty to look them over and take one if they wish. There's one person I'll be there with again this year who does high-end construction in the San Diego area... a fantastic Scouter and awesome human being. Wood is his business and he wasn't as easily impressed as everyone else... honestly I started to sweat it a little. Until he held up a pen and asked what kind of wood it was. IT WAS THE KOA THAT YOU'D GIVEN ME. He got wistful and said he loves Hawaii, wants to retire there and that his dog is named Koa. I felt that was a Big WIn and I have you to thank!!

Allan:
I went to an Eagle ceremony last month (with an engraved pen in tow of course) and noticed the opening invocation was given by my boss's boss's boss. He was wearing a Scout uniform. It's fun to see the unexpected connections that exist through Scouting!

Todd:
Regarding finishing, you're right! I did some sanding on the lathe followed by hand sanding. I applied my finish with the lathe turned on and with it turned off, using a buffing wheel on my drill. The result works well enough... but probably not up to the standards I'd want for a higher-end pen. ; )

Thanks
- Cullen
I prefer pretty au natural for wood, which is why I tend to prefer lower gloss for most of my collection. This is probably a little too au natural for me, but I think it's a really cool idea and was well executed. And I could definitely see a market for it. Bravo!

Top Bottom