W. Tx Cedar Post

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bsshog40

bsshog40

Lol. So this is what one of those skinny cedar posts look like that are spread out amongst the T posts when it is turned into a pen. I really didn't know what it was at first until mmayo brought the wood to my attention. Picked it up while I was getting a little more mesquite. Will be the last time I turn this stuff. Very graining and splintery. Was hard to finish but eventually got it with 7 coats of thin CA and about 20 coats of Med CA.

Attachments

• Side 1.jpg
    Side 1.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 240
  • Side 2.jpg
    Side 2.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 248
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dogcatcher

The skinny ones are cedar stays, they are used to help keep the barb wire in place. I used to buy them by the pickup load at the farm and ranch store. You should also be able to get cedar fence posts. Back in the day I had a deal with one of the store managers, he had the yard man set aside the seconds and I would go by about once a month and buy them. They come green from central and north Texas area. I would stack under my shed so that air flowed through them, and used the posts for weed pots, and natural edge bowls. After about 30 years, I developed an allergy to cedar, now I can look at a fence post and start sneezing and itching.

bsshog40

yea @dogcatcher, I have quite a few of these running around my fence, and you would have thought I would have recognized it. Lol
Thanks Billy!
@mark james Yea it actually seemed to have a better grain pattern from the start. Kept losing the interest after it was slowly turned down. Lol

Lucky2

Nice looking pen Bobby, and a perfect match up of blank to kit finish. I don't do much with cedar, because of how harmful to my health it can be. I've had a few friends die from cancer, and the cancer was proven to be the cause. How they proved it is beyond me, but it's what I was told. It was the dust from the cedar, that stuff is bad chit, worse than a lot of other types of tree dust.

Len

bsshog40

Nice looking pen Bobby, and a perfect match up of blank to kit finish. I don't do much with cedar, because of how harmful to my health it can be. I've had a few friends die from cancer, and the cancer was proven to be the cause. How they proved it is beyond me, but it's what I was told. It was the dust from the cedar, that stuff is bad chit, worse than a lot of other types of tree dust.

Len
Yea I don't really mess with it much either. About the only thing I've ever used it for was a cedar chest I made about 12 yrs go for my late wife's christmas present.

Attachments

• Lide & Drawers open2 650pix.jpg
    Lide & Drawers open2 650pix.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 187

Bean_Counter

Nice pen. Good to see someone from our area. I'm in Lubbock! If you ever come
Up this way let me know. I wouldn't mind sharing some of my million blanks

MTViper

Nice job. I love working with cedar. Have a big (8" diameter x 8' length) that was in the ground 50 years or so that I need to cut up and make something from. I'm east of you a couple of hours, right off I-20. Drop me a line if you're headed to DFW and I'll make you a cup of coffee on the way and share some blanks.

Top Bottom