Votes: 51 63.0%
  • Pen 5

Votes: 34 42.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
We have some very talented young turners and their work never ceases to amaze me. We have 5 entries this summer and your going to have a hard time picking a winner.

Choose 3 pens out of the 5 and the top 3 will win. Plus a random prize for one of the two remaining entries.

Good Luck to all of you that entered!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Pen 1

Father and Daughter
This entry is an Apprentice mechanical pencil, made from pink and white acrylic. She performed all of the process with the exception of epoxying the tubes, which i did while she was at her mothers house. She is just entering into wood turning and has turned some basic spindle shapes and the exterior of bowls. No real issues arose during the pen making except chipping when trying to be too aggressive. She quickly learned that a light touch is slower but results in a much smoother finish.
Thank you for your consideration,

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20150819_191801.jpg
    20150819_191801.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 673
  • 20150819_191835.jpg
    20150819_191835.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 599
  • 20150819_191853.jpg
    20150819_191853.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 661

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Pen 2

This was made by my grandson
the wood used was a maple burl the kit was a knurl gt twist that is made by penn state. This is the fourth pen that he has done and it is the first one that he has done alone, he did the whole thing by himself. i was just there to supervise. I have a Nova 16/24 so he also had a couple of belt changes to make.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1156.jpg
    IMG_1156.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 515
  • IMG_1159.jpg
    IMG_1159.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 739
Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Pen 3

My son chose the to make a segmented blank, upper is dyed wood and lower is a mosaic explosion blank separated by a Gisi accent strip. The pen kit is a Sierra Elegant Beauty. All these choices were solely his. In addition to making the blank, he also cut the blank down to size on the band saw and drilled the hole on the lathe and sanded down the ends. He did all the work himself with two exceptions. I (dad) assisted with gluing the segmented blank and I knock the corners off the blank for smoother turning. For finishing, Ethan dry sanded the blank to 600 and then applied 6 layers medium of CA and then sanded to 600 grit and then wet sanded to 12000 with micromesh. Lastly he applied Nova 2 and 1.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 755
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 612

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Pen 4

My grandson selected a Magna Red Original Cactus Blank and matched it with a gold Atrax Fountain Pen. This was the fifth pen he has turned but it is the first one that he did everything (with minimal help from me). I should mention that his Mom and Dad both use fountain pens regularly. My Grandson has been using them since the time he learned to write, as does his younger brothers.

My Grandson encountered a problem with the body of the pen. Once sanded there were some noticeable grooves in the turned blank. I explained his options to him and he chose to turn the blank some more and re-sand. He used a Pen-Pro Carbide insert tool for the turning and finished by sanding and using EEE, White Diamond and Carnauba Wax (Beall Buffing System).

My "hands on" contributions to the creation of this pen were holding and guiding both of his hands as he used the band saw to cut the blanks. I chucked the blanks and the drill bits because he could not get the jaws of the chucks tight enough to prevent slipping of the bits or to securely hold the blank. I also used digital calipers to check the size of the ends of the barrels. Other than that I just stood behind him and verbally coached him. He did 100% of the turning (between centers with bushings) and finishing. I applied Loc- Tite to the inside of the barrels prior to assembly and held the parts for him as he used the press to push them together.

Age 9

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Pen-1.jpg
    Pen-1.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 743
  • Pen-2.jpg
    Pen-2.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 602
  • Pen-3.jpg
    Pen-3.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 597

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Pen 5

My son chose a Steampunk watch part blank from Beartooth Woods and the pen kit is a Dayacom Sierra Majestic. Ian made the pen without any assistance from me (dad). That includes all the turning and finishing. For finishing, Ian sanded to 600 grit and then wet sanded to 12000 with micromesh. Lastly he applied Nova 2 and 1.

Age 12

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 621
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 761

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Dont forget to leave a word of encouragement for all the fantastic work by these kids.

D.Oliver

Great Job. It's easy to see that the Youth Contest turners of today will be the Slimline Unlimited turners of tommorrow!

bobleibo

Wow....I think I need to be paying attention to these kids. They do a better job than I do.
Well done!
Bob

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Awesome pens!
I bet these youngsters could have helped their parents & grandparents with the Wood ID contest.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Less than 24 hours to show your support and vote for the pen that you like best. Show the kids that you appreciate their effort and vote!

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Voting for the youth contest ends today at 3:48 pm. If you havent voted do so to support the young turners that have entered.

Top Bottom