Voting for the Hunters Paradise Contest.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Which are the Three best pens?

• PEN 1

Votes: 70 62.5%
  • PEN 2

Votes: 34 30.4%
  • PEN 3

Votes: 54 48.2%
  • PEN 4

Votes: 76 67.9%
  • PEN 5

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • PEN 6

Votes: 13 11.6%
  • PEN 7

Votes: 13 11.6%
  • PEN 8

Votes: 11 9.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
We have some really nice entries this year in the Contest.

Take a look then another you can Pick 3 of your favorites.

Pen 1
My entry is a chrome Zen rollerball. The blank is segmented by me and consists of two blue dyed deer antler pieces and a natural deer antler piece with just enough ""bark"" separated by two aluminum pieces.""

1(2).jpg

2(2).jpg

3(1).jpg

Pen 2
Challenge was to produce a smaller diameter over/under style pen. Used/modified Navigator kit,410 shotgun shell and Winchester 300 mag.

contest1.jpg

contest2.jpg

contest3.jpg

Pen 3
The deer antler is accented by jungle camouflage acrylic acetate at the ends of the upper and lower blanks. I turned the lower blank to leave a little bit of the natural edge, and soaked CA into the porous marrow. I replaced the cap button and center band accent ring with a button and accent ring turned from jungle camouflage acrylic acetate. The plating is black titanium.

HPO1.jpg

HPO2.jpg

HPC1.jpg

Pen 4
The Pen Body is turned out of a piece of Whitetail Deer Antler. I like the shades of whites, blues and greys this piece shows. There is a small spot of what I call marrow, which is a coarse material, that I filled with C.A. Glue during the finishing process to fill the voids and give the pen a glossy smooth shine. The upper or cap is an actual Migratory Bird Stamp that I glued to a white background then cast in resin. I like the antler on the rifle cartridge and the duck stamp on the shotgun shell cap.

hunt 1.jpg

hunt 2.jpg

hunt 3.jpg

Pen 5
This Pen utilizes a 7mm transmission and a barrel tube, but nothing else from the 7mm kit. I drilled out the tip of an antler and mounted the transmission into the larger end. Then I created a transition from the antler to a cutoff Winchester 7mm cartridge.

IMG_5548.JPG

IMG_5549.JPG

IMG_5551.JPG

Pen 6
Big Shot Hunter - I used a Churchill rollerball for the basis of this pen. The Cap utilizes the brass cap from a Federal 12Ga cartridge, turned Osage Orange to the size of an original shell. I modified a Rifle clip for a slimline to finish out the cap. The pen is turned from a single piece of Deer Antler.

Hunters Paradise - 1.jpg

Hunters Paradise - 2.jpg

Hunters Paradise - 3.jpg

Pen 7
This is a Winchester 243 Brass Cartridge with a 7mm transmission/slim line tube soldered in with a cross style refill. The upper tube has an inlace blank along with the slim line finial and a rifle clip that I had left over from another kit. I chose this blank because of it's ""earthy"" colors that reminded me of a place my father and I used to spend our vacations. It was in the Sierra Nevada Mountains of California and was truly a fisherman's as well as a hunter's paradise. We spent many summers during the late 1950's and early 1960's and the blank especially reminded me of sunsets with the family"

HP1.jpg

HP2.jpg

HP3.jpg

Pen 8

This entry is a celebration of the handsome animal that grew the antler, as well as a celebration of irregular shapes and sizes. I wanted to preserve, as much as possible, the shape and color of the antler pieces so I merely squared the ends and turned off the protruding sharp edges, after the hole was drilled, with the antler piece mounted between centers. You will notice a little fur still remaining at the bottom of the lower barrel, a reminder of the animal's beauty. This is intended to be a desk pen; it stands on its bottom. The kit used is a Berea slimline.

A_ONE.JPG

B_TWO.JPG

C_THREE.JPG

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Top Bottom