Virus update re: shopping

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sly Dog

I hope I'm not repeating old news (I haven't read every post ) but I read today that certain chains (e.g., Safeway/Albertsons, Target, among others) are reserving shopping hours for seniors and vulnerable folks who otherwise find it hard to get food and supplies. A pretty great idea imho.

For those who are interested here's a link to the USA Today article about it: https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...e-for-vulnerable-elderly-pregnant/5074064002/

Russ

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
They've cut hours but the stores are open to everyone. My wife and I went shopping today and with the exception of TP, they were all well stocked. Our Costco store did have Helena City Police on site and inside the store but I haven't heard of any problems. They were acting as guards I think. I got everything I needed without any troubles.

bsshog40

They've cut hours but the stores are open to everyone. My wife and I went shopping today and with the exception of TP, they were all well stocked. Our Costco store did have Helena City Police on site and inside the store but I haven't heard of any problems. They were acting as guards I think. I got everything I needed without any troubles.
We had a stabbing a couple nights ago at our local Sams Club. People are going crazy over nothing in stocking up items.

Curly

Many store here are reserving the first hour for seniors to shop. Many restaurants that are open are only doing takeout even if they never did that before.

I went to Costco today and they were limiting people into the store to the number leaving. It was nice because there were no aisle blocking samples to frustrate me and they had every other register open. You held your member card and they scanned it and after you paid someone stepped in to disinfect the counter you leaned against. None of the food concessions were open so it was easy to get out. You also held both ends of the receipt for them to look at and there was no happy face drawing on them for little kids. I have to say it was my best shopping experience there ever. :)

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I was able to log into Kroger click list today, and ordered what we could get. No TP or Deli items. Can't pick up until Saturday, but I don't have to go into the store. They pick it, and load it for you. My local drug store's truck will be in tomorrow at 2:00. So will I! 😁

eharri446

Amazon.com has new offering called Fresh that provides online grocery ordering and delivery. It does have deli items available and may even have toilet paper. If you spend over $40.00 shipping is free. I just had my first delivery delivered on my doorstep and need to go get it an put my Jimmy Dean chicken biscuits in the freezer. I have another delivery scheduled for delivery Saturday evening between 7 and 9 pm which does have deli items included in it.

sbwertz

We're ordering online and picking up. First time. Hope it works because we have several 90 year old neighbors that we can get things for. Oh, we're 75 and I have an autoimmune disease so am immune suppressed. Doing our best.
When you order online and pick up at store at our local walmart, the kiosk for pickup is right inside the front door, so you don't even have to go through the store. I too am immunosuppressed. I have RA and take two immunosuppressants. My husband is 81 and had both heart disease and insulin dependent diabetes, so we are REALLY avoiding crowds. He doesn't go out at all except for Dr appointments. We have 54 active cases and two deaths in our county.

sbwertz

Up to 200 cases and 4 deaths in the Metropolitan Phoenix area. 6 deaths statewide in AZ. Had to go to Fry's for produce and Walmart for glucose tablets yesterday. Went to both stores in the 6-7 am seniors only hour. No crowds, able to walk right up to a self checkout without waiting in line. Most people are not willing to get up before dawn to go shopping LOL.

WriteON

We had a stabbing a couple nights ago at our local Sams Club. People are going crazy over nothing in stocking up items.
That is real sad. I feel like all hell is going to break loose soon. The people without money & food are going to get desperate. Everyone be careful. Be safe. Eyes open. CHIN UP.

Gary Beasley

Amazon.com has new offering called Fresh that provides online grocery ordering and delivery. It does have deli items available and may even have toilet paper. If you spend over $40.00 shipping is free. I just had my first delivery delivered on my doorstep and need to go get it an put my Jimmy Dean chicken biscuits in the freezer. I have another delivery scheduled for delivery Saturday evening between 7 and 9 pm which does have deli items included in it.
Oldest son had a food delivery stolen from his porch, so keep an eye on the deliveries and get them in pronto!

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Oldest son had a food delivery stolen from his porch, so keep an eye on the deliveries and get them in pronto!

Or if you can afford it, order two and leave one out there with a note. If someone's desperate enough to steal food, they need help...
There are very few things that people can steal that can't be replaced - food is one of those things that certainly can...

I haven't heard of any trouble or problems in Montana. Things might be happening but it's not making the news. As for Porch Pirates, where I live it's not an issue, nothing gets delivered to my cabin, not even USPS. For those experiencing problems, always be on the look out, pay attention to who's around you and watch for suspicious people. How many of you ever take a different route home? Keep the bad twerps guessing. If you don't set a pattern 9 times out of 10 you won't be a target. The bad guys need routine, so vary yours.

For those of you who might of "stocked" up on TP and other cleaning products and some food products (like Rice), I saw this morning where Costco will not allow them to be returned.

sbwertz

I have a dog that thinks that everything he can see out the front window is his property. As a result, NO ONE gets up our driveway or sidewalk without being loudly announced. At least I always know when the mailman comes because he recognizes the sound of the truck and barks as soon as it enters the neighborhood. (That could be because our mail carrier is very generous with the milk bones.) Same with FedX and big brown.

He only weighs about 65 lbs but SOUNDS like he weighs about a hundred! Deep voice LOL. So I've never had anything stolen from my porch. Especially in the summer when the front door is open and only the steel security screen is closed. Then he can REALLY play defender of hearth and home.

mick

Several of our local stores have also reserved an hour or two in the mornings for seniors.(although wifey won't let me out because of my lung problem and she hardly looks 60) However they still let anyone come in making the senior only a mote point but hey it looks good for them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have a dog that thinks that everything he can see out the front window is his property. As a result, NO ONE gets up our driveway or sidewalk without being loudly announced. At least I always know when the mailman comes because he recognizes the sound of the truck and barks as soon as it enters the neighborhood. (That could be because our mail carrier is very generous with the milk bones.) Same with FedX and big brown.

He only weighs about 65 lbs but SOUNDS like he weighs about a hundred! Deep voice LOL. So I've never had anything stolen from my porch. Especially in the summer when the front door is open and only the steel security screen is closed. Then he can REALLY play defender of hearth and home.
Our house dog only weight about 18 lbs, but thinks he's the baddest dude on the block... our mailman goes past first and hits the end of the road, then turns and works back down our side of the road... Harley lets us know when he passes in both directions.... Ups and Fedex really sets him off when they back up my driveway (and tear up the gravel... there's holes all up my driveway from them spinning their tires up the driveway... )... also when the neighbor goes by on his tractor, he goes nuts... mostly he's just nuts.

Maggie the outside dog meets and greets everyone... she loves people..... and she would probably help a porch pirate carry the package off the porch...

wm460

Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia,0860.
For those of you who might of "stocked" up on TP and other cleaning products and some food products (like Rice), I saw this morning where Costco will not allow them to be returned.

That is great news, might make the stupid idiots use their single brain cell next time.
Hope other shops follow suit.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

That is great news, might make the stupid idiots use their single brain cell next time.
Hope other shops follow suit.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

I've heard that three stores, Costco, Sams Club and Winco aren't allowing Covid-19 related items to be returned. Some of the smaller stores haven't come out with that policy yet but probably should. They could get hit really hard with returns and end up losing money.

henry1164

Good to see some shops in Aust are doing the same.

Looked at the article. How can you not love that supermarket manager giving the "finger" to a stupid hoarding customer who tried to return items he bought to price gouge others. He is a hero!!!

Top Bottom