Virtual Gatherings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

Virtual meetings and demonstrations spurred by recent events will be a good fit for our group. We can use a software package named "Zoom". It is Free to use, and with a Free registration, anyone can hold Zoom meetings of their own. More will be posted in coming days.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

For observation, without active participation ... is a camera/microphone necessary ?

greenacres2

For observation, without active participation ... is a camera/microphone necessary ?

Not necessary at all, but you definitely may want to add that capability after the first demo. No camera or mic on my work computer, so for those meetings i log into the computer for the 23" monitor (with speaker muted), and on my phone for the camera and mic. Felt clunky the first time, but after that not a problem. I keep my mic muted because my phone feeds back, but that is a courtesy we all need to learn anyway.

If one is bashful, or in the witness protection program, the camera portion can be muted as well--whether on computer or phone.
earl

magpens

@greenacres2
Thank you, Earl, for the Zoom "tutelage".

I forgot to mention that I am a Neanderthal .... no cell phone. . Sometimes I think of getting one, but what's the point ... nobody phones me !!!
Well, I do have access to a landline, but my wife is nearly always the telephone interface. . I suppose a cell phone would be useful, if I could get a service agreement ( excluding telephone services ) that would allow me to use it purely for taking pics of pens to post on IAP .... but I would still need WiFi .... so we are back to buying a "more comprehensive" plan, I would think. . I just don't know anything at all about cell phones.

Notwithstanding ..... I'm still interested in this "Virtual Gatherings" initiative Randy is pursuing. . I'll rustle up mic and camera for cmptr if nec.

Last edited:

greenacres2

I'm envious!! My cell phone is with me constantly--even serves as my alarm clock. But...many other benefits from my employer are with me all the time as well, so i can't really complain!! It's been a good life for a kid whose parents could barely read & write. Looking forward to meeting you on screen!!
earl

leehljp

Member Liaison
I am unsure if I have signed up for an invitation or not - or was sent one.

I do want one. Is this the forum to request one for the upcoming meeting Saturday night?

Top Bottom