Vintage Ruby Bakelite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stuckinohio

Hello,

It's been a while since I've posted any pics. Been busy trying to improve my skills on kitless/custom.

This is vintage ruby bakelite, black Japanese hard rubber and stainless steel. Everything is made by me except the nib and converter.

For anyone who cares, the nib is a Jowo #6. Cap threads are m14 triple start.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Beautiful pen Lewis. I really like that blank, but the black accents also add a special quality.

mrburls

Still can't believe you didn't win first place with all the work that went into that beautiful pen. First place in my book Lewis.
Keith

stuckinohio

Beautiful pen, Lewis !! . Congratulations !!
Beautiful work! Talk a little about the bakelite...I'm curious about how it turned...?
That is a lovely pen. Well done!
Thank you Mal and Bryan.

Greg, the bakelite was great to work with. I drilled slowly (time wise) with cooking spray as a lubricant so as to reduce the amount of heat. I also drilled with increasing sizes of drill bits until the proper diameter.

The bakelite threaded wonderfully, though as you can see, I didn't make any male threads. I read some posts on here that said the male threads didn't do well. I did all the threading with taps.

The bakelite didn't turn normally. I wasn't getting ribbons but rather dust or pebbles. This is with a metal lathe.

These blanks came from a large 9 inch rod that was over 1.5 inches thick. I split the blank lengthwise down the middle to increase the usable blanks from this rod. I have a lot of pics I could post in a separate thread if someone wants.

stuckinohio

LOL to the source request! Bakelite is still plentiful on ebay, for a premium. I'm not sure if all of it is authentic Bakelite or a similar product made from a different company. I think some companies still make it in Asia or India? I've heard that some Bakelite is fragile and will have checks and cracks in/on it, This did not.

When I get time I'll start a thread for cutting up the bakelite, though Mrburls and SteveG have posted their methods previously without step by step photos. Below are links to their posts on cutting it up. I followed Keith's (Mrburls) method.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/rare-orange-bakelite-emperor-63162/
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f18/bakelite-144440/index2.html#post1888123