Vintage cellulose

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jalbert

jalbert

I finished this up today. It is a fountain pen made from vintage cellulose acetate and argentium silver. I fabricated all trim from wire and sheet stock. The pen is about 5" long capped, so it's nice and compact for carrying around. I began this pen months back, and somehow it got lost along the wayside. I just found it again and decided to to make some trim so I could finish it up. It uses a Bock #6 nib, and while the pen is a short over all length, it can fit a full size converter in it. I don't remember all the thread sizes because I've since changed them, but this was one of the last pens I used single start threads on.
637E09AE-F466-4FAF-A56D-E6376C5C7174.jpeg
593302CC-D884-4F2F-AB74-3A86A3F09CFE.jpeg
5052B1CC-D26E-4608-BBD2-8F553652197D.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wizard

An absolutely gorgeous fountain pen. It has been a pleasure to see your work evolve. The combination of that particular celluloid and silver look great together. May I ask how you solder the pieces together? Thank you for showing! :) Doc

jalbert

An absolutely gorgeous fountain pen. It has been a pleasure to see your work evolve. The combination of that particular celluloid and silver look great together. May I ask how you solder the pieces together? Thank you for showing! :) Doc
Standard silver soldering technique using a Smith "Little Torch" running propane and oxygen, with argentium solder. Typically use a third hand type clamp to keep things in alignment while soldering

Last edited:

Kcimdrib

Stunning Pen you could call yourself a Silversmith. I would not have the skills to complete anything as good as this. I would consider myself to be a basic Pen Turner but one day who knows.
Well done.

jalbert

Stunning Pen you could call yourself a Silversmith. I would not have the skills to complete anything as good as this. I would consider myself to be a basic Pen Turner but one day who knows.
Well done.
I don't know if I'd go so far to say I'm a silversmith, but thanks! There's a lot to learn still, and even though I studied jewelry design, I've got a lot of catching up to do.

Kcimdrib

I don't know if I'd go so far to say I'm a silversmith, but thanks! There's a lot to learn still, and even though I studied jewelry design, I've got a lot of catching up to do.
Great pen anyway obviously your studies were not wasted.

Top Bottom