Video Help please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Here's what I am trying to do:

I have made a couple videos of turning alt ivory with a skew. From start to finish in 4-5 minutes. Fine, now I will "post" them, he said. So, since Jeff is a nice guy, I send HIM an e-mail and he says GREAT, he would LOVE to put them on the site - Jeff and I get along pretty well. He asks, how big is the file - I reply, FOUR minutes! (See, I measure MY life in time -- I keep forgetting you young guys measure YOURs in kilobytes!!)

So, I tell him its 465000 kilobytes - about 4 megs, I figure. Jeff VERY NICELY informs me that that is 465 megabytes!!! "OH," says I, "That's a lot, huh???"

So, I reset my camera and try again. This time 5 minutes - turning is slowing down as I age, this is a week later -- and 275 megs.

OK, I need a "tool". Can someone recommend a program that will reduce these things to a manageable size??? Of course FREE wins, but as long as it's cheaper than buying an actual video camera (these are coming from my Canon digital "snap shot" camera), its worth considering.

THANKS for any input and if you find a GOOD answer, I will punish you by posting these vids on the site!!!

Seriously, thanks for any input:doctor::doctor::doctor::doctor:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tn-Steve

If you've got Windows, you've got a video editing program. It's called Movie Maker, and it will do just what you are looking for. Basically you would just open up the (Guessing it's an AVI) file that your canon camera created, and then save it as a WMV (Windows Media Video) File. They even make it easy, let you set how small you want the file to be.

There are a ton of video editing programs out there, I've got a few of them, but for simple jobs like that Movie Maker will work just fine.

Hope this helps,

Steve W

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Told you to see me ;)

Here is one free one... http://www.nchsoftware.com/prism/

There is others.. Let me know if you have more questions!

Mpeg4 would be one of the best sized to convert to.

You kdding, if I ask you a question, you can't be answering Dawn. SHE NEEDS your help!!!

I can always muddle along and FIND an answer, but THANKS. I will embark on playing immediately!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
If you've got Windows, you've got a video editing program. It's called Movie Maker, and it will do just what you are looking for. Basically you would just open up the (Guessing it's an AVI) file that your canon camera created, and then save it as a WMV (Windows Media Video) File. They even make it easy, let you set how small you want the file to be.

There are a ton of video editing programs out there, I've got a few of them, but for simple jobs like that Movie Maker will work just fine.

Hope this helps,

Steve W

Thanks Steve,

I will look for it.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
If you've got Windows, you've got a video editing program. It's called Movie Maker, and it will do just what you are looking for. Basically you would just open up the (Guessing it's an AVI) file that your canon camera created, and then save it as a WMV (Windows Media Video) File.

Is that the only format it saves to? I seem to remember trying Movie Maker
but there was some reason I abandoned it. I think it was for this reason, I
don't use Media Player and I think that was going to be the only option if I
used Movie Maker. Or maybe I don't remember right..

I don't need Microsoft sending itself logs of every piece of media I open..

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Well, MY primary purpose is to upload to the IAP (or YouTube and create a link), so the second half of the question - what is the optimum file to accomplish this?? Either size or file format or whatever I should know if I were a "computer guy"??

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Thanks Dustin, now please don't tell me I am REAL stupid, I already know that.

IF I upload this large file:
A) What happens if my internet connection is broken during the upload (I'm guessing it's "start over" time
B) IF anyone wants to watch it, how fast a connection would they need to do that?
C) Does Youtube "shrink" the file for T1-connection challenged??? Like dial-ups???

Thanks guys, I appreciate your input and YES, I WILL remember SOME of this!!

cowchaser

If you have a broken connection you will just have to restart the upload.

Yes youtube will compress the file, which isn't usually the best quality so upload the best quality you can, which if you used a digital camera I am sure it already is.

As far as how fast someones connection needs to be it won't matter how you load it if they are on dial up it is going to take awhile to download it to play. Nothing you can do to really make it go faster for them. Youtube will compress it as small as it will go from what I understand.

greenmtnguy

Local Chapter Leader
I have a 35 min video of a class reunion on google video and provide the link to classmates. You can open it in Windows media player and Real player. And it was free.

cowchaser

You know Ed when you get this done I need one of how to turn a bowl without a chuck. Still haven't figured out the whole faceplate process and don't really want smacked in the face with a flying hunk of wood.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Dustin,

Amazing as it is, I don't do a very good job on bowls. I turn "nut bowls" with a ship's wheel nut cracker in the middle. Now that CSUSA has that wheel up to $20, I suspect that product will be leaving my "offerings" too. Along with "kit kaleidoscopes" that are now also over $10.

HOWEVER, send a private e-mail to Ron in Drums!!! HE could tell you how and post a video. He hasn't been seen around here, recently -- but I'll bet he still knows HOW to turn!!! Only wood though, some day he will gradiate to "alternative materials" (Please tell him I said that!!)

rdunn12

How about using Winzip to "zip up" compress the files and let members download and view them?All we would have to do is unzip and extract the file to view it.Just a thought.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Video??

How about using Winzip to "zip up" compress the files and let members download and view them?All we would have to do is unzip and extract the file to view it.Just a thought.

Ron,

Is that feasible with video?? How much room would a compressed 300 megabyte file take? Dawn is working on a website, so I COULD put it there, but I don't want to take any room she may need.

alphageek

Former Moderator
Ron,

Is that feasible with video?? How much room would a compressed 300 megabyte file take? Dawn is working on a website, so I COULD put it there, but I don't want to take any room she may need.

Zipping won't get you a valueable way of doing this. If you compress to mpeg4 or wmv would do much better. Uploading to youtube would work too, but realistically many of the canons really don't compress much at all (yours is in this category). A 4 minute video setup for the web should be in the 10's of megs at most, not 400+ meg. (To give you an idea, mpeg4 is used for ipod videos, etc to get WHOLE MOVIES down to under 700 Meg).

Youtube will compress for you, but I have a HUGE net connection at home with roadrunner business class and it would still take a long time.

Use of of the video tools listed in posts above, then we can figure out where to host it.

VisExp

Use of of the video tools listed in posts above, then we can figure out where to host it.

Host it on YouTube and then embed a link on Dawn's website. It won't take up any room on Dawn's site and people can access it from her site without having to go to YouTube. The best of both worlds :biggrin:

alphageek

Former Moderator
Host it on YouTube and then embed a link on Dawn's website.

We'll be able to do better than that :wink: Once we get it up to youtube, it can be embedded right into the site as a video, not a link :cool::cool::cool:.

The trick is getting it to a size Ed can get up to youtube.:eek:

Last edited:

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
If someone can explain FTP to Ed, we can host it right here. My explaining skills are a little rough when it comes to that sort of thing. We already host many GB of video in the library.

alphageek

Former Moderator
I can take care of that.. I posted some things above for hints for others. I've taken this 'offline' - I'll help Ed get it moved somewhere, then I can help ftp it or put it wherever we want.

My nickname is there for a reason :) I use FTP all the time (among other things).

M

Mudder

If someone can explain FTP to Ed, we can host it right here. My explaining skills are a little rough when it comes to that sort of thing. We already host many GB of video in the library.

Jeff,

I'll see if I can help Ed with that. If worse comes to worse he could burn it to cd and send it to me and I'll upload it for him.

Ed,

Give me a call tomorrow and I'll see what I can do to help.

<Guess I should have read a little further. If I can be of assistance please let me know>

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom