Video about getting old..

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

I refuse to get old. At 63 I just joined the Professional Ski Instructors of America and will have my certification before next season. More and more people my age are getting injured skiing because they don't ski often enough and they learned what could best be called neanderthal technique. I plan to specialize in teaching old farts how to ski efficiently, faster, with less effort and be safer. Three weeks ago I almost smoked a local college racer from a nationally ranked team. [:0] My son keeps telling me I need to ski my age, but I think he's just afraid I'll continue to kick his rear on the slopes until I keel over.:D

pssherman

Gerry,
I don't know what ski instructors are taught concerning how injuries occur. As a former member of the National Ski Patrol, I learned that you are more likely to get injured from a fall if you are standing still than if you are going 20 mph down a hill. Brittle bones and lower speeds can result in a greater risk for injury from a fall. If this isn't taught to ski instructors, it should be.

Good instructions from a CARING instructor goes a long way in teaching a skier how to have fun AND reduce risk of injury. Hope you are very successful in doing this.

gerryr

Paul,
The biggest single risk to skiers now are the !#@$#^%$#%@% snow boarders. I have a friend who got a shattered ankle from being hit from behind by one. Every week I see people get run into by these jerks. PSIA is well aware that there is a significant risk of serious injury at low speed; low speed twisting falls are the worst, well maybe not as bad as hitting a tree at 40mph. People who ski very slowly and cautiously are not doing themselves any favors. But, those people usually are not confident in their ability and after watching a fair number of them, they have good reason not to be confident. PSIA is starting to pay attention to the baby-boomers and a couple of regions already have special instructor training for teaching seniors. But if you're 60+ and some 20-something instructor tells you you can do something, how inclined are you to accept? If a 60+ year old instructor is saying the same thing, they're more likely to listen.

Top Bottom