Victory!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rochester

My wife and I are participating in the Amish Acres Arts and Crafts festival this year. This will be our second year of participation in this large, juried festival in Northern Indiana. This year there are 250 participants and each is asked to submit two examples of their work in the artists competition. I was fortunate to win the "wood" category of this year's competition.
It wasn't with the pen that I had entered but was with a scroll-sawn piece that I had spent 30+ hours completing. While there was no prize money attached to the win I was able to sell the piece within an hour on the announcement of my win and several came to my booth to check out my work, wich resulted in the sale of other pieces.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

You can't just come here and brag about selling something and not show us a photo. We are all about photos here. Hopefully you do have some photos. Maybe you can also give us a little background on the piece as to what type wood, what finish, what inspired the piece and so forth. Thanks.

DozerMite

Banned
Where are you located at the fair? We thought about stopping by if we have time. If we do, I'll look you up, it's only 30 min. or so from us.

wudnhed

My wife and I are participating in the Amish Acres Arts and Crafts festival this year. This will be our second year of participation in this large, juried festival in Northern Indiana. This year there are 250 participants and each is asked to submit two examples of their work in the artists competition. I was fortunate to win the "wood" category of this year's competition.
It wasn't with the pen that I had entered but was with a scroll-sawn piece that I had spent 30+ hours completing. While there was no prize money attached to the win I was able to sell the piece within an hour on the announcement of my win and several came to my booth to check out my work, wich resulted in the sale of other pieces.

This must have really made you feel on top of the world. Congratulations!

DozerMite

Banned
Thanks Ed, we've never been to it even though it's very close.
We do usually go to the Blueberry festival in Plymouth, the Apple festival up in Niles and sometimes the Threerivers festival in Ft. Wayne.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Well,

We did Blueberry Fest one year, too. Different venue. Amish Acres is an art and craft, not a carnival. Fewer attendants, but much higher demographic, they come from Detroit (well, when Detroit was employed), Chicago and Germany (well, one guy that bought a nice piece from Dawn one year).

We like Amish Acres - just don't think the shows this year will justify the $2000 that one cost us (booth and hotel).

We certainly wish Dale good luck!!!

DozerMite

Banned
I just go where the boss says to go. As long as there is food nearby, I'm good. :biggrin:
We don't sell and it's all close enough we don't have to stay overnight. If you would have let me know, you are welcome to camp out here. Not much, but certainly better than paying for a hotel. There is a hot shower and a comfy bed (those are a little extra though :rolleyes::tongue:).

I guess we should go check it out.

Rochester

Sorry about the photo. I know that IAP is all about photos. I will try to post it after the show. The winning piece is on it's way to California but I think that I have a copy on my camera. Dozer - I am in booth Orange 257. I won't be there on Saturday. I have to go judge 4-H woodworking projects at the Indiana State Fair, but my wife will be manning the booth if you get a chance to stop by. I will be there Sunday. John T - The piece was a Jeff Zaffino design called "Tiger Swallowtail". It is the most difficult piece that I have attempted,containing 668 cuts. As soon as I saw the design in Creative Woodcraft I knew that I wanted to cut it and enter it in the competition. I will try to be a better IAP member in the future and not forget the photo. Thanks everyone for the support.

Dale

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Dale,

In my book, you are a GREAT IAP member.

In Amish Acres' book, you are a great scrollsaw artist ----- Congrats!!!!

Couldn't happen to a NICER guy!!! Too bad they eliminated the cash!!

jttheclockman

Sorry about the photo. I know that IAP is all about photos. I will try to post it after the show. The winning piece is on it's way to California but I think that I have a copy on my camera. Dozer - I am in booth Orange 257. I won't be there on Saturday. I have to go judge 4-H woodworking projects at the Indiana State Fair, but my wife will be manning the booth if you get a chance to stop by. I will be there Sunday. John T - The piece was a Jeff Zaffino design called "Tiger Swallowtail". It is the most difficult piece that I have attempted,containing 668 cuts. As soon as I saw the design in Creative Woodcraft I knew that I wanted to cut it and enter it in the competition. I will try to be a better IAP member in the future and not forget the photo. Thanks everyone for the support.

Dale

Dale

I know of the piece you are talking about and yes Jeff's patterns are challenging to say the least. You have more patience than me and I look forward to seeing your rendition of this and by the way CONGRADULATIONS on the award. I am glad the judges saw not only the project and realized the work involved. Have a great day.

Top Bottom