Viability Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drewby108

So my sister is very much into crystals and witchcraft/energy work. Not my thing, but I had an idea for a birthday gift and would like to know how realistic it would be.

Has anyone seen or used a full crystal for the body of an artemis kit/kitless pen? I was looking at getting a 5" or so piece of solid amethyst (surprisingly affordable) and using that as my blank. Pic attached for visual. I'd prefer to use an artemis RB kit instead of going kitless simply because I don't have the equipment for making all the parts.

Apologies if this is the wrong forum.

Attachments

• AmethystObeliskwandtower_1080x.jpg
    AmethystObeliskwandtower_1080x.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 103
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drewby108

7 on the Mohs hardness scale 3 below the diamond at 10
Yeah. I know I'd need a diamond drill for the main hole. Curious if the crystal would be machinable after that (with something other than carbide or steel) or if it would simply shatter. I've done a little stone shaping at a club I used to take my nephew to, but no drilling or anything like that.

Drewby108

There is only one member here (?) that I know of who makes pens from stone and petrified wood. From what he has posted you would need specialized/custom tooling. Not a one off endeavor.
That's what I was curious to know. I might call up the club my nephew was a part of and see if they have the equipment, or if was only for cutting/shaping stones/gems. Thank you

This will be extremely difficult to do between the hardness of the material and because crystals like this tend to have micro-fractures through them. Proceed with cautions, is fresh carbides and go slow. Really take your time and wear PPE.

Mach4

I've never turned amethyst but it should be doable….in the same way pertified wood, agate, jasper, granite, quartzite and such are. Unfortunately you'll need specialty equipment and tooling. To make pens out of gemstones I needed to actually build my own diamond drills and water cooled holders, my own lapidary lathe and specialty finishing and polishing tools. There are lots of workflow considerations too. For example drills are available in even mm sizes, so gluing tubes requires special techniques to keep them centered. Even squaring blanks requires custom tooling. Turning gemstone can be done but it takes serious commitment and lots of custom engineering and fabrication.

Drewby108

I've never turned amethyst but it should be doable….in the same way pertified wood, agate, jasper, granite, quartzite and such are. Unfortunately you'll need specialty equipment and tooling. To make pens out of gemstones I needed to actually build my own diamond drills and water cooled holders, my own lapidary lathe and specialty finishing and polishing tools. There are lots of workflow considerations too. For example drills are available in even mm sizes, so gluing tubes requires special techniques to keep them centered. Even squaring blanks requires custom tooling. Turning gemstone can be done but it takes serious commitment and lots of custom engineering and fabrication.
Yeah. It sounds like this isn't a doable project for a one off birthday gift. Thank you for the input

Joebobber

I think you'd have to use a hand grinder as the tool on your lathe to shape it. I've heard of it being done but never tried it yet. Just make sure you're masked up well, don't want to breathe that junk in.

Top Bottom