Veterans Day

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

In which brance of the military did you or a family member serve?

• Army

Votes: 21 43.8%
  • Navy

Votes: 20 41.7%
  • Air Force

Votes: 18 37.5%
  • Marines

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Coast Guard

Votes: 2 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
With Veterans Day next week, let me be the first to thank all veterans for your service.
With that, what branch of the military did/do you are a current family member serve? You may "vote" as may times as needed.
Although I was in college during the Viet Nam era and did not serve, I'm proud to say that my son is in his 14th year in the Coast Guard and currently stationed in Florence, Oregon.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MRDucks2

Checked 4, also. Dad was drafted into the Army Air Corps and discharged from the US Air Force. Oldest brother retired from the Navy, other Brother retired from the Army after enlisting 2 different times. I serviced in the Marine Corps. There was a point in history all 3 of us boys were in 3 different branches at 3 different locations around the globe at the same time.

I was in the U.S. Navy 71-77. My son served in the Navy from 93-99. My son in law did 24 years in the Air Force. My father and father in law, both Navy, served during WWII. My grandfather served in the Canadian Army during WWI, wounded twice. Lots of cousins served mostly in the Army. On my wife's side she can trace her families military service back to the American Revolution and her great Uncle died on the Bataan death march.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks Mannie! I served in the Navy '65-'69 Two of my Mothers Brothers served in WW II. One, Army Medic, and the other Army Air Corps.
One cousin, Navy (8 years) and one cousin Air Force (28 years) One brother Navy on USS New Jersey. Viet Nam.
We were all fortunate to be raised as Patriots. DD-214 Alumni!!

MRDucks2

Lol. Forgot to mention my son served in the Marine Corps, also. I visited him at MCAS Miramar, which was NAS Miramar when I was in. About 20 years or so after I was part of the mother squadron for the F-18, my son had the same job on the 5th generation of the same bird.

It was neat to see modifications we made to the original in the field with help from Mac-Air and Lockheed actually built into the airframe 2 decades later.

walshjp17

I served 26 years in the Navy and retired in 1988. My father served 20+ years on active duty (WWII) and the reserves. Two uncles (WWII) and two cousins (post-Vietnam era and Gulf War) served in the Navy as well. My paternal grandfather was a WWI doughboy. My maternal grandfather was a shipfitter at the Philadelphia Navy Yard. Two other cousins served; one in the Army (post-Vietnam) and the other in the Air Force (Vietnam era).

Curly

I'm generous donating to get my poppy for Remembrance Day for all the Allied troops that served. I thank them all. Without them I wouldn't exist. With the exception of my mothers brother, sister and a cousin everyone in the family and their friends were rounded up and exterminated. They survived because they were in not in central Europe when under occupation.

My uncle actually was in three armies in three countries. He was in the Czechoslovakian army and escaped to France when it was overrun. He was conscripted into the French army and was captured when the Germans took that country. As a prisoner of war he used his multiple language skills to talk himself into different work details and past checkpoints until he could escape. Faced with being caught eventually he joined the German SS because after basic training they got a rail pass anywhere in Europe before being sent off to the front. He managed to keep his circumcision hidden while being trained for the third time and when he had his pass went to the Swiss border, where as a kid in summer camps learned the area. He ran from the German guards and then hid from the Swiss border guards by crawling down a cliff face and jamming himself in a crevice until they stopped looking for him. A day or two later he climbed down and stayed in Switzerland until the war ended.

magpens

My sincere thanks to all who have ever served and who are now serving. . Words, of course, can never repay the sacrifices made.
My Dad served in Canadian Army during WW2, his brother in the Air Force; their father served during WW1.
Our generation can never fully know the price paid, but we can keep the memory alive.

He always hinted at the "fun" he had but never get any details.
And he probably won't. I'll talk with my son about my Navy days, as well as others who served but usually don't mention much about my service to those who didn't serve. Most people who ask me about my service usually ask after seeing my United States Navy tattoo. Wife's are never invited to our reunions.

Woodchipper

BTW, there are several restaurant chains that offer specials for Veteran's Day- Golden Corral, O'Charley's, IHOP, Appleby's, Denny's. Check to see if your local restaurant will be offering the special.

PBorowick

wolf creek knives, unfortunately I'll never know. We lost him to complications from Alzheimers back in 2011. He was great Dad and I miss him a lot. He did tell us a little about serving on the Honor Guard for John F. Kennedy's funeral but not many details. He was very quiet about his time in the service. One of these days I'm going to get his full military record and see what all he did.

I grew up in Billings, MT and moved out here back in 1999. Drove though your neck of the woods back in August on a road trip.
I have a tremendous amount of respect for all who have served and those will. Takes a lot of brave men and women to keep things safe.

TonyL

You all have my deepest respect and support - not only to those that served, but to their entire families and circle of loved ones. Serving has to affect all in many different ways. Because of you guys and gals, I slept comfortably. Thank God for you folks.

Don Rabchenuk

Checked 3 and should have been 4 .
My father was Navy, step father was Army, I retired Navy (22yrs), son was Marine, and daughter in law is planning to retire from the Airforce.
Thank You to all that have served.

darrin1200

My Dad and 2 of his brothers, served in the Canadian Navy in WWII, while another uncle served in the infantry.

My Brother and one BIL served with the Artillery and my oldest BIL served 32 years in transport.

I did 26 years as a RCEME weapons technician.

We remember them all.

wolf creek knives, unfortunately I'll never know. We lost him to complications from Alzheimers back in 2011. He was great Dad and I miss him a lot. He did tell us a little about serving on the Honor Guard for John F. Kennedy's funeral but not many details. He was very quiet about his time in the service. One of these days I'm going to get his full military record and see what all he did.

I grew up in Billings, MT and moved out here back in 1999. Drove though your neck of the woods back in August on a road trip.
I have a tremendous amount of respect for all who have served and those will. Takes a lot of brave men and women to keep things safe.

My father was in the sub service in WWII. He really never talked much about his time in except for some of the funny things he did. I tried to get his military records and was told that they had been destroyed from a fire sometime in the mid 70's. I'm not how true that is but I was not able to get any of them. My father in law has told me more about what he did but has kept a lot from his family. He was on Okinawa with the first wave and went ashore with the Marines. I've got the .45 he went ashore with although it was very badly damaged in the Redding California fires last year. I had a cousin that was a Green Beret and served two tours in Vietnam. He was going to give me his Special Forces knives but passed before that took place. As I told him when he was still alive, those should go to his kids, not his cousin.

Big difference between Billings and Wolf Creek. Something about a big city turns me off although I have friends in Billings and they love it.

penicillin

Allow me to extend my appreciation to all here who served our country. Words are not enough express my feelings on the subject.

In case it matters, I was born on an Air Force base, and have many family members who served or are on active duty now. My father was from that generation that never talked about their military service.

-> The reason I am posting is to share about Rockler's pen turning for veterans event on Saturday, 9 November. You pay $10, and Rockler helps you make a pen. I learned about it because our local woodworking/woodturning club will be sending volunteers to augment the local Rockler's staff to help newbie pen turners. The term "Make and Take" means that no experience is expected, so you might encourage shy beginners who want to make a pen, or go yourself just for the fun of it. Pretend you have no experience. ;-).

"Turn A Pen for Ten Veteran's Day Event
Date: Nov 9th at all Rockler retail locations
Session Times: 9:30 AM, 11:30 AM, 1:30 PM & 3:30 PM
Cost: $10

"All proceeds from ticket sales will be donated to the National Veterans Foundation. In this class, you'll learn the basic fundamentals of woodturning and wooden pen turning kits. Finishing and pen assembly will also be covered. Each attendee will get to make and take home their own custom made pen! The $10 fee includes all materials, hardware, & supplies. No experience required and beginners are welcome."

Signups are on Rockler's website and use EventBrite, so you pay online. It is like buying a concert ticket:
https://www.rockler.com/makeandtake/
... or find your closest store, then scroll part way down the page to find the Make and Take signup:
https://www.rockler.com/retail/stores/

MTViper

Checked 4 - father and father-in-law were WWII Army. My oldest son is current Army, just pinned on Colonel - but I told him that DAD still outranks COL.

Nephew was in the Navy, cousin was a Marine.

My wife (20 year retiree), her brother (20 year retiree), her nephew (20 year retiree), and I (21 year retiree) were all Air Force. She was an OSI officer, her brother a maintenance officer, her nephew another OSI officer (they even gave him her badge number), and I was a fighter pilot (A-7, OV-10, F-16) with a little over 3000 hours.

Happy Veterans' Day to all who served, are serving, and will serve

Steve

sbwertz

Women's Army Corps for me and my sister in law, Regular Army for my husband and brother, Army Air Corps for my dad, Marines for my uncle.

Top Bottom