Veterans Day Nov. 11

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
In recognition of my fellow Veterans I've been toying around with Bottle Stoppers from Ruth Niles and came up with these. The bottles of Whiskey next to the stoppers are all produced here in Montana. Not cheap but very smoooooth.

Left to right:
U.S. Army stopper turned in Koa.
U.S. Navy stopper turned in Mahogany (This is a special piece given to me by my father in law, also a WWII Navy Veteran). This Mahogany came from Treasure Island in the SF Bay.
U. S. Marine Corps turned in stabilized drift wood from Hawaii (an interesting turn as after I stabilized it there was still quite a bit of sand in the wood. Really tore up the turning tools).
U.S. Air Force turned in Rocky Mountain Maple that I harvested from our cabin home.

I do want to apologize to any U.S. Coast Guard sailors, I couldn't find the centers for a stopper, maybe next year.

Thanks for looking.

military stoppers #2.jpg Military stoppers#1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BULLWINKLE

In recognition of my fellow Veterans I've been toying around with Bottle Stoppers from Ruth Niles and came up with these. The bottles of Whiskey next to the stoppers are all produced here in Montana. Not cheap but very smoooooth.

Left to right:
U.S. Navy stopper turned in Mahogany (This is a special piece given to me by my father in law, also a WWII Navy Veteran). This Mahogany came from Treasure Island in the SF Bay.
U. S. Marine Corps turned in stabilized drift wood from Hawaii (an interesting turn as after I stabilized it there was still quite a bit of sand in the wood. Really tore up the turning tools).
U.S. Air Force turned in Rocky Mountain Maple that I harvested from our cabin home.

I do want to apologize to any U.S. Coast Guard sailors, I couldn't find the centers for a stopper, maybe next year.

Thanks for looking.

View attachment 343470 View attachment 343471

BULLWINKLE

Wolf creek knives.
If you have a Apple iPhone or iPad, you need to download an app from International Association of Pennturners called Bushings and Tubes. They list all pens, bottle stoppers etc. from all suppliers, as well as from different countries. . You have dimensions, links to websites, and instructions you can print or email. Literally thousands. Also has conversations SAE to metric, drill bit conversations etc. It costs 99 cents. It's the best app you will ever have for wood turning. Check it out.

MRDucks2

Wolf creek knives.
If you have an Apple iPhone or iPad, you need to download an app from International Association of Pennturners called Bushings and Tubes. They list all pens, bottle stoppers etc. from all suppliers, as well as from different countries. . You have dimensions, links to websites, and instructions you can print or email. Literally thousands. Also has conversations SAE to metric, drill bit conversations etc. It costs 99 cents. It's the best app you will ever have for wood turning. Check it out.
????

boatemp

Left to right:

Thanks for looking.

View attachment 343470 View attachment 343471
Thanks!!!! Right back atcha!!!!!

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Very nice stoppers Tom. Montana 1889 caught my eye. I think the NAVY medallion adds some class to the group.😁

Happy Veterans Day to you, and ALL of my fellow Vets!

Wolf creek knives.
If you have a Apple iPhone or iPad, you need to download an app from International Association of Pennturners called Bushings and Tubes. They list all pens, bottle stoppers etc. from all suppliers, as well as from different countries. . You have dimensions, links to websites, and instructions you can print or email. Literally thousands. Also has conversations SAE to metric, drill bit conversations etc. It costs 99 cents. It's the best app you will ever have for wood turning. Check it out.
Thanks for the info. To be honest I have no idea what kind of phone I have and I don't have an iPad. But thank you.

I like the shape of the Koa stopper best, with the grain of the driftwood. In my opinion, the Marine Corps center is by far the nicest. 😁

I'm afraid I would need a taste of each whiskey to determine my favorite among them! Just a sip… or two.
I've got enough Whiskey here to last me probably for another ten years. If you're ever in Western Montana I'd be more than happy share some with you. I'm partial to the Navy one but the Marine Corp was the one I enjoyed turning the most.

Very nice stoppers Tom. Montana 1889 caught my eye. I think the NAVY medallion adds some class to the group.😁

Happy Veterans Day to you, and ALL of my fellow Vets!
Thanks Chuck. I'm kind of partial to the 1889 bottle too. It's the first one I had a drink of at the distillery and it was good. It does pack a punch though, but it was a very nice Whiskey to try. The Navy stopper was the first one I made and thought they would all make nice gifts for family and friends. I'm hoping to make more in the future.

walshjp17

I like your stoppers and your use of local distilleries to display them. I am especially liking the Navy medallion and would like to inquire where you sourced it.

BTW, in addition to the USCG, you'll also need to add the Space Force to have a complete set.

Thank you for your service and thanks to all the serving and former members of the armed forces who are active on this forum. Happy Veteran's Day.

I like your stoppers and your use of local distilleries to display them. I am especially liking the Navy medallion and would like to inquire where you sourced it.

BTW, in addition to the USCG, you'll also need to add the Space Force to have a complete set.

Thank you for your service and thanks to all the serving and former members of the armed forces who are active on this forum. Happy Veteran's Day.
The medallion came from Hobby Lobby in the leather working section. I think they cost around $5.00 but to be honest it's pretty hit and miss at the store in Great Falls on availability. Not sure about other stores though.

You're correct on the Coast Guard and Space Force. I've been looking into a lot of ideas but most companies want you to buy a production run (around 1,000 pieces) so I haven't found a good source yet. But I've got some other ideas that I'm thinking about.

Top Bottom