Very scary stuff - Updated with photos

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

gerryr

We live in a pretty heavily wooded area outside Billings, Montana. Yesterday morning, a fire started about a mile from our house and downhill. We were forcibly evacuated from our house about 1:00pm as the fire crested the ridge about 1/4 mile away. We managed to get the dogs, cats and horses out but that was it. Fortunately, the fire department had foamed our house and according to a call from the fire department this morning, it worked. Our house is still standing, but we don't know about the barn. The fire has so far burned about 3,300 acres and is not yet under control. They're using slurry bombers and helicopters dumping water. Weather forecast for today is 95 degrees and 20-30 mph winds. We won't be able to go home today, but hopefully we can tomorrow. Then, there's the issue of restoring power since all the power lines are above ground and are most likely fried. I should have taken my lathe!

8/24: My wife and I managed to convince the sheriff's deputy at the road block to let us in for a bit this morning. The damage right near out house was not what we expected. Apparently, when the fire crested the ridge about 1/4 mile west of our house it picked up speed and raced east for about 3/4 mile and then slowed and turned a bit south. The firefighters did a terrific job as well as the slurry bombers and our house is unscathed. We may lose some trees and the grasses are completely blackened, but the grass will be back in the spring better than ever. The only real damage is to the fence around our pasture, several posts gone or broken, but the barn is fine as is the 2 tons of hay inside. The word is that we will be able to go back in permanently tonight. We have electricity but no water since the fire department drained our cisterns fighting the fire, fine with us. A couple of pictures follow. I don't now how the tepee poles survived, except the grass may not have generated enough heat to ignite them.

200682420220_house.jpg

2006824202231_barn.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Gerry,
Glad to see you've maintained your sense of humor, and to hear that your house survived. Most importantly, I'm glad to hear that you and your family are OK. I hope that things are much better than expected when you get back home.

Oh, and yeah, what the heck were you thinking??? Of COURSE you should have brought your lathe! I mean, that and some pen kits, a few chisels, some sharpening equipment, gloves, CA, a few chucks, a mandrel, some bushings, sand paper, micromesh, a respirator, and some safety glasses and you'd be all set! Sounds like there will be plenty of recently-felled wood in your area, so at least you wouldn't have to bring THAT! [:D]

Hey, this gives me an idea! Between you and the guys in Arizona, maybe I should start selling a "wood turner's emergency kit". Include all of the above-mentioned items in a tackle box - just grab it and go. You'd have to supply the lathe, but otherwise... Thanks for the idea![;)]

Seriously, glad to hear your family and you are OK!

Rifleman1776

Glad you and yours are alright. Good news the house was saved. Seems that your area has had several big fires in recent years. My cousin lives near Missoula. She sent me some pictures taken from her house last year, pretty scary stuff.

53Jim

Like everyone else has been saying, Glad the family, and pets, are safe. Keep your sence of humor. If you don't laugh once in a while, you'll go stark raving maddddddd. DAHIKT

I hope the barn was spared,also.

PenWorks

Gerry glad you made it out and hope there is minimal damage to your property. But your nice forrest will takes years to come back. The price we pay to live in the boonies by ourselves. I go threw this every year, wondering what lightning strike is going to start the next desert fire by me. Knock on pen blanks, only about another 2 months to go, before we are out of the fire season. Good luck.

Draken

Happy to see the family is safe, everything else can be replaced if it comes down to it. Hopefully your home and shop will be spared though!

Cheers,
Draken

JimGo

Glad to see things turned out well! I think, all things considered, I'd be content (maybe not HAPPY, but content) with the way things turned out.

gerryr

Frank, that's for a 16 foot tepee, but the canvas hasn't been on it for a couple of years. I took it off because it got a bit our of whack after a bad wind. It's a 4-pole Crow type. I have to confess that I am not a buckskinner.

jssmith3

Hi Jerry, talked to my dad yesterday, he has been in Yellowstone all week and was really worried. I'm glad everything has turned out ok. He was working in Yellowstone during the bad fires in 88'and it stopped just on the other side of Lewis lake, right next to his campgrounds.
Take care,
Janet ;)

Stevej72

Hey Gerry, Glad everything turned out OK. I saw the article on the front page of the paper today. It sounds like you were well prepared with the construction of your house the way it is.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom