Very Plain Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KenB259

KenB259

This pen is not really a show off pen. It's rather plain and simple, but it's also very special. I made this for my youngest stepson, he doesn't know about it yet. This plain pen is probably the most meaningful pen I have made. My stepsons name is a Derek. I married his mom when he was 3, he is now in his forties. Derek lost his Grandpa on his dads side about ten years ago and he lost his Grandma on that side a couple of years ago. They were farmers and Derek has many fond memories of that farm. When it came time to sell the farm, all the grandkids were told to come to the farm and take what they wanted for a memory of their grandparents. We'll all Derek wanted was a weathered old chunk of bad wood, barely a half inch thick. He brought it to my workshop thinking he wanted to make something with it. It's been here quite awhile. I decided to cut a small piece to try and make him a pen from it. This is the result. I hope he doesn't get upset I used a little piece. The wood is in such bad shape I decided to just do a tube in clear cast knowing and hoping most if not all of the resin would get turned. I'm giving it to him tomorrow. I did not do a CA finish I wanted him to be able to feel the wood.
CFA8ECCE-6418-4759-9FEE-63B8C8C08B3C.jpeg
4956A527-6D13-491E-BCB0-8EBB0B72DDA9.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sorcerertd

It only looks plain, but has much more depth! I'm sure he'll love it. The antique brass is perfect for that pen, too.

How bad was this bad wood? How about a picture to see where this came from?

KenB259

It only looks plain, but has much more depth! I'm sure he'll love it. The antique brass is perfect for that pen, too.

How bad was this bad wood? How about a picture to see where this came from?
Well bad was a typo, I meant barn wood, both apply though. Here's a picture of the board.
779BB643-8E0E-46E2-B799-9CF73A7F86DE.jpeg

JamesC

This pen is not really a show off pen. It's rather plain and simple, but it's also very special. I made this for my youngest stepson, he doesn't know about it yet. This plain pen is probably the most meaningful pen I have made. My stepsons name is a Derek. I married his mom when he was 3, he is now in his forties. Derek lost his Grandpa on his dads side about ten years ago and he lost his Grandma on that side a couple of years ago. They were farmers and Derek has many fond memories of that farm. When it came time to sell the farm, all the grandkids were told to come to the farm and take what they wanted for a memory of their grandparents. We'll all Derek wanted was a weathered old chunk of bad wood, barely a half inch thick. He brought it to my workshop thinking he wanted to make something with it. It's been here quite awhile. I decided to cut a small piece to try and make him a pen from it. This is the result. I hope he doesn't get upset I used a little piece. The wood is in such bad shape I decided to just do a tube in clear cast knowing and hoping most if not all of the resin would get turned. I'm giving it to him tomorrow. I did not do a CA finish I wanted him to be able to feel the wood. View attachment 340720View attachment 340721
That's beautiful.
Jim

sorcerertd

Barn, that makes sense. Hmm, might be a pen holder waiting to come out of that board, too. A picture frame for an old family photo? I'm sure the rest of it will get put to good use once that pen makes it's debut.

KenB259

Barn, that makes sense. Hmm, might be a pen holder waiting to come out of that board, too. A picture frame for an old family photo? I'm sure the rest of it will get put to good use once that pen makes it's debut.
Picture frame is an excellent idea.

KMCloonan

Very nice. A pen is valued a lot more when it's made from something of importance. I am sure Derek will be absolutely thrilled.

The pen's finish is perfect for the reason you mentioned (being able to feel the wood), but it also goes perfectly with the antique brass' satin finish.

Can I ask how you dyed the wood? It's a beautiful color. Almost a hand-rubbed bronze.

KenB259

Very nice. A pen is valued a lot more when it's made from something of importance. I am sure Derek will be absolutely thrilled.

The pen's finish is perfect for the reason you mentioned (being able to feel the wood), but it also goes perfectly with the antique brass' satin finish.

Can I ask how you dyed the wood? It's a beautiful color. Almost a hand-rubbed bronze.
I didn't dye it at all that dark color is just the sides that were exposed to the weather for 100 plus years.

MedWoodWorx

This pen is not really a show off pen. It's rather plain and simple, but it's also very special. I made this for my youngest stepson, he doesn't know about it yet. This plain pen is probably the most meaningful pen I have made. My stepsons name is a Derek. I married his mom when he was 3, he is now in his forties. Derek lost his Grandpa on his dads side about ten years ago and he lost his Grandma on that side a couple of years ago. They were farmers and Derek has many fond memories of that farm. When it came time to sell the farm, all the grandkids were told to come to the farm and take what they wanted for a memory of their grandparents. We'll all Derek wanted was a weathered old chunk of bad wood, barely a half inch thick. He brought it to my workshop thinking he wanted to make something with it. It's been here quite awhile. I decided to cut a small piece to try and make him a pen from it. This is the result. I hope he doesn't get upset I used a little piece. The wood is in such bad shape I decided to just do a tube in clear cast knowing and hoping most if not all of the resin would get turned. I'm giving it to him tomorrow. I did not do a CA finish I wanted him to be able to feel the wood. View attachment 340720View attachment 340721
This looks great! The kit looks rustic and also the pen stand is amazing, well done. What is the wood that you used?

KenB259

I have no idea what the wood is, whatever is common as barn siding in Michigan, might be cedar, anyone's guess is as good as mine.

Dieseldoc

Ken:: Very nice project for the special piece of wood, he is slo luck you make a keep sake pen he can keep for a life time.

By the way great looking pen.

Cheers

Charlie

TDahl

Hey Ken,

You did not make a pen, you created a cherished heirloom. It looks great.

Top Bottom