Very First Bowl -- Thanks Nova!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from AngryRhino

AngryRhino

For those that are unaware, Nova's HQ is located right here in St. Petersburg, Florida. I had the pleasure of meeting Ben, a representative of the company, at Woodcraft by chance one day.

Ben saw that I was buying pen supplies, and asked if I'd ever tried bowl turning. I let him know that I was interested in it, but hadn't yet tried it. He let me know that they are currently teaching people how to turn bowls, on their equipment, for FREE!

They are doing this for Charity -- you go there (they provide everything, even the wood,) they will teach you, and they will keep at least one of the bowls you make. On Dec 7th, they will hold an event at Lenny's Restaurant, where guests purchase tickets for $15 each. They get to pick one of the bowls that people have made, and Lenny's fills it up with homemade soup and bread. They then get to keep the bowl. Proceeds go to Feeding America Tampa Bay.

This was my first bowl turning project. It's made from Cherry wood found in Ocala, FL.

fYt5VtE.png

If anyone is in the Tampa Bay area, and is interested in doing this also, drop me a PM, and I'll pass on Ben's info. He was great, and was very patient and helpful through the whole process.

FYI -- I have no affiliation to Nova in any way, but I have to say -- I'm pretty impressed with how they are doing this.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MarkD

Great looking first bowl and a great fund raiser!
What kind of finish did you put on the bowl?

The Penguin

around Houston (and other areas I think) - they have "Empty Bowls" - same basic concept

good work on your first bowl - mine wasn't anywhere near that nice! LOL

AngryRhino

Thanks for the kind words! Yes, it's the Empty Bowls program, same thing exactly.

The experience is well worth it, and I reccomend it to anyone.

As for the finish, it was simply rubbed with some olive oil. Had to be kept relatively simple, as people will be eating out of it. I did sand it down to a finer grit than they normally do -- it's the pen turner in me!

Top Bottom