Vertical Milling Table

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

moke

I am looking to buy a vertical Milling table for my Grizzly 10-22. I really don't have room for a mill, nor do I think I would use it much. I do have a desire to make a few things requiring some minor milling.
I was thinking of this:
and then using my collets and chuck to hold the milling bits.

I realize that this would limit me to very short lengths of milling, but can't think I really would need more, right now. If I find I use it more than I think, I could always get some sort of a mill someday. I am looking at building a building next year or in '21 so I would rather save the money for the building.

Please, for those that might have one, can you please tell me your thoughts. Also, this table I listed needs a clamping piece, how would I go about making one without a mill?
thank you in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bmachin

Take a look at Steve Jordan's YouTube channel. He does quite a bit of stuff with milling tables on mini lathes if memory serves.

Bill

magpens

I don't have direct experience with that accessory on your lathe, but I have tried similar on a 7x14 lathe and I was not impressed.

One concern is that the words say it is 4" x 5" (100mm x 125mm), but the picture looks to be different from that.

Another concern is accuracy. . Because it mounts on the lathe cross feed there are two (or more) surfaces and feeds involved.
So maybe +/- 0.002" across the cut ?

Do you have the G0602 lathe ? . Is this little table actually designed to fit on that lathe ? . I don't see any words to that effect.
(Please forgive me for asking questions which you probably have already looked into !!)

Re: the clamping question .... I assume you mean clamping your work to the table ....

The picture seems to indicate that this little table does have T-slots ... if they are standard size, you could buy T-nuts and clamping gear to fit, just as you would for this little table ...

lorbay

This one looks the same as the one I got from Lee Valley Tools. The one I got was made for the Taig lathe. My metal lathe was a bit big for this milling attachment.
Lin

moke

Thank you every one for taking the time to help me.

Bill...I live on youtube...and I searched for this but I might have not used the correct name for the table....all I got was rotary tables...thanks for this and I'll get right on that. I think one of the issues is that this attachment is called a number of different things! I have been calling it a vertical milling table, but some places call it a Milling slide.....

Magpens..I do have the G6022, actually the "Z" version...when I wrote this I guess I thought it would require more than just bolting it to the cross slide...I was envisioning some sort of clamping extrusion.

Lin...I think this size is good for me, at least to start with

Dogcatcher....I'm on it, Thanks!

Last edited:

bmachin

Here is Steve Jordan's YouTube channel home page. He uses a table attached to the cross slide of his mini lathe to do quite a few minor milling operations. Pretty sure it's mostly home built.

Here's a video that shows one of his builds, although you may have to be a masochist to try it:

Bill

Last edited:

magpens

Thanks for posting, Bill ! . Excellent video !
That looks to be a very skookum setup - much better than any others I have seen for that 7x14 mini-lathe (which is the one I use).

Top Bottom