Venus Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I just bought some Venus pen kits and I also pulled out some statesman kits which I have not made in a long time. I noticed something when I pulled up the instructions on these kits. Basically the same kit so basically the same instructions. But I noticed that on the black section of the centerband coupler there are grooves in the piece and they say it is for glue. My question is does anyone or everyone who makes these type kits add glue to that black ring and if so what glue are you using. When I remember making the statesman and gents I never glued that black section in because it was so tight to go in and many times I had to sand it some to get it to slide along with some vaseline on it. I tried the Venus kit and that black portion slides in easily in the tube. Hope this is making sense. Thanks in advance. What does the masses say?? Is there a problem with that piece twisting or breaking when screwing in the pen?? What am I missing??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pianomanpj

John, are you referring to the threaded insert that goes into the cap? I have never glued any of mine and not had any issues. I suppose the there is a risk for rotational slippage when tightening a cap, but I've never had it. IF I were to use something, I may opt for the removable blue thread lock. Not being able to disassemble something does not sit well with me.

Last edited:

TonyL

I see where it calls for a little glue on the black threading extension (I just made up that name) of the CB. It has to be to secure the threading to the inside of the cap brass tube. I have never made that kit, but all of the JR types have always fit very snugly. I would follow the instructions. Dayacom may know something that we don't . I would hate for something to go wrong with some a beautiful kit. Maybe Ed Brown knows?

jttheclockman

I have included the instructions for the venus kit here. But many other kits that use that black extension plastic center coupler thing also have the grooves in it and on the instructions it says glue ring groove. Never paid attention to it. Like I said what drew my attention was other kits I used that had this that part was very very tight going in. On the Venus kit they slip right in just by pushing with hand.

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/docs/venus_pen.pdf

Charlie_W

I too have filed some of those to ease assembly. I have also added a speck or two of epoxy. I would add the epoxy inside the brass tube before pressing in the threaded piece.
Did one Venus years ago for Wifey.... one of her favorites!

KenB259

I have had some so tight, I actually had to apply some light lubricant. I have never glued them and never had any get loose. It's also a sure bet, if I tried gluing them I'd end up with a ruined finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

jttheclockman

I have had some so tight, I actually had to apply some light lubricant. I have never glued them and never had any get loose. It's also a sure bet, if I tried gluing them I'd end up with a ruined finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
Yea I am going to have to look this one over when I get the blank done for it. Being it slides in easily I may throw some clear epoxy on it.

Top Bottom