Vent/Rant @ PSI Graduate Pen Kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Todd in PA

I bought 5 of the PSI "Graduate" magnetic rollerball kits recently.

I glued up a segmented blank, drilled it, trimmed it, turned it, and finished it in the same manner that I always do. When I pressed it together, the cap cracked. Crap!! I blamed the clip for causing the end to go in crooked, and put it on the growing pile of "tuition pens" (ie the cost of learning a new skill).

I made another one. I completely removed the clip this time (it has a little screw holding it in) and carefully pressed it in. Crack! I'm sure I cleaned the tube properly...didn't I?

I made another one. I cleaned the tube and examined it under magnification to verify not a speck of glue or debris. Removed the clip. Press...CRACK!!!

I made another one. I applied thin CA to the end of the blank to give it more strength before finishing, cleaned the tube, removed the clip. I also waited until the next day to press it in to make sure the CA was cured. Pressed---CRACK!!

I made another one. I did some reading around IAP and found someone talking about thinning the brass tube to get a looser fit. I cut a slot in a dowel, slipped a ribbon of 320 sandpaper into the slot and used a drill to sand the inside of the tube. I rigorously cleaned the brass dust, because of the magnet in this kit. Waited 4 days, then pressed it together. CRACK!!!! Not so visible, but I can feel it with my fingernail.

I'm completely fed up with this kit. I believe I did everything to try to be successful. Do you think these kits are mis-sized or the 'gold' finish is flawed. Batch error? At $17 a pop, I'm putting $85 + maybe 30 hours of shop time into the tuition pile. 😤 Well, I actually gave away 2 of the pens as gifts. 😛 I'm not trying to get a refund or air a complaint about PSI. I just want to vent a bit, and I want to see if other turners have had kits they just can't work with.

I made a new order of kits from Exotic Blanks. Maybe I'll have better luck with some Berea kits. 😝

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Todd in PA

I never photographed most of these pens because I wasn't proud to show them off. But I'm willing to post photos if anyone wants to observe my mistakes in detail. 😬

Bope

I made a couple graduates last year and didn't have any problem with them. Sounds like you got a lot where the plating might have been a little too thick. I recently had a problem with a Jr. George. I ended up using a Dremel tool to ream out the inside of the brass tube. No reason to trash the kits. Disassemble and either turn off the blanks or get new tubes.

Todd in PA

I made a couple graduates last year and didn't have any problem with them. Sounds like you got a lot where the plating might have been a little too thick. I recently had a problem with a Jr. George. I ended up using a Dremel tool to ream out the inside of the brass tube. No reason to trash the kits. Disassemble and either turn off the blanks or get new tubes.
What more would I do to get a good result? Is it worth spending the time of making a new cracked pen?

Yikes! Some of my new kits are Jr. George. At this point I have PTSD about pressing the pens. LOL

Bstrauch

I have had similar experience with the satin gun metal Hamilton kit (yes only the satin gun metal -- odd). This is especially the case with blanks material that has no flex, like faux stone. I now use a reamer to open up the tubes along with sandpaper. When it gets to a point where I can pretty much press the parts together with hand pressure, then I move forward by adding a light coat of 5 min. epoxy inside the tube and then press it together.

Todd in PA

Ugh. 😫

I accidentally ordered 13 more magnetic graduate kits, when I meant to order the magnetic executive. Didn't realize my mistake until I opened the bag to measure the parts. 🤦🏼‍♂️

KenB259

Ugh. 😫

I accidentally ordered 13 more magnetic graduate kits, when I meant to order the magnetic executive. Didn't realize my mistake until I opened the bag to measure the parts. 🤦🏼‍♂️
This is where the tube expander I posted about would come in handy. You would slightly expand the tube, before you glue it into the blank. Test the fit with the components. Glue it in, turn your barrel and then apply a bit of CA or loctite when assembling. Expanding the tube is way easier and way more precise than sanding it.

Top Bottom