Veneer business cards

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ZanderPommo

ZanderPommo

I like to add a personal touch and figured making my own cards out of wood was a decent idea. Had the idea while half asleep and woke up and ordered 60 feet of veneer. I wanted something with figure and curly maple seemed the best option to still be able to get a clear, business card looking burn due to the naturally light color. If you have a laser it seems like a pretty low effort low expense way to set yourself apart. They come in at less than 20 cents per card and I seem to be able to churn out like 20 an hour currently, but I hope to streamline the process a bit. I also added 2 layers of poly to both sides to make the curls pop. Anybody else do this?

Attachments

• IMG_0104.jpeg
    IMG_0104.jpeg
    296.4 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0105.jpeg
    IMG_0105.jpeg
    294.5 KB · Views: 117
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MedWoodWorx

I like to add a personal touch and figured making my own cards out of wood was a decent idea. Had the idea while half asleep and woke up and ordered 60 feet of veneer. I wanted something with figure and curly maple seemed the best option to still be able to get a clear, business card looking burn due to the naturally light color. If you have a laser it seems like a pretty low effort low expense way to set yourself apart. They come in at less than 20 cents per card and I seem to be able to churn out like 20 an hour currently, but I hope to streamline the process a bit. I also added 2 layers of poly to both sides to make the curls pop. Anybody else do this?
Very nice idea! I would add a QR code with my instagram handle..keep it in mind for the next batch,cheers!

P.S. i ll look you up on instagram!

BCnabe

At my day job we work with a veneer supplier that sends us a 9x12 calendar every year that is printed on curly maple veneer. It looks like they have them printed (ink jet printer???) because the months are in red ink and the days of the month are black. I wonder if they pre-treat the veneer to keep the ink from bleeding.

MRDucks2

At my day job we work with a veneer supplier that sends us a 9x12 calendar every year that is printed on curly maple veneer. It looks like they have them printed (ink jet printer???) because the months are in red ink and the days of the month are black. I wonder if they pre-treat the veneer to keep the ink from bleeding.
There is a type of solid ink thermal laser printer that would likely accomplish that without concern for bleeding. I was once considering investing in one but the replacement ink was rather expensive. Cool process, though, that allowed printing on a lot of material.

Woodchipper

They will break in a wallet, purse, pocket. I got some bookmarks from William Faulkner's home in MS. Cards were from blow-down cedar limbs on the property. Handled with the utmost care. Keep them in a jewelry box.

jrista

They look beautiful. The grain really pops.

I would be concerned about the durability as well, though. So, a thought... I just picked up a pack of 60 metal credit card sized engravable "business cards"... I actually need them for focusing my engraver, or at least, that's the main idea (only need a few, 60 is way more than I'll ever need.) The thought though, is this...if you used the metal cards as a "core", you could bond two layers of veneer around the metal core, and that should eliminate the high risk of these breaking. You might want to get veneer half as thick, and then you would need two pieces per business card to sandwich the metal core, but...I do think they would be a lot more durable.

These look thiker:

jttheclockman

I had this same idea many years ago when I started my business and wanted to do something similar. In fact there were companies that did this but were pricey. I had the same thought as Ken though so I opted for wood grained paper cards and get them by the thousands for less $$

wood-of-1kind

It's a great idea and awesome execution, but aren't they very breakable?
I make business cards from various veneer species. I use natural veneers that are "backed" with a product called Gatorback, as the name implies the veneer cards do not tear apart easily. They last a long time. As an added bonus I purchased an inexpensive press to make business card sized veneers. Currently have thousands of cards ready to go and will probably never use up a fraction of my stock.

ZanderPommo

They feel surprisingly flexible and durable but will surely break with abuse. The way I look at it, anyone actually planning to place an order will be slightly more careful with it, which may lead to them NOT shoving it down into a pocket and forgetting about it. 🤷🏼‍♂️
We shall see, time will tell. Lots of good ideas from everybody.

Top Bottom