Vehicle Scratches?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Thought I would throw this question out here because we have the smartest eclectic group of members ever assembled. :) I have a 2012 Silverado pickup truck that I am keeping for another few years at least. I take good care of my vehicles whatever I own. The other day I noticed a bunch of small not deep or wide scratches in the top of the front fenders probably from when a mechanic worked on it from his belt buckle. He either was too lazy to get a fender protector out or did not have them. I know I always use them as soon as the hood goes up. It is garage 101. Anyway I was thinking I have seen many commercials on tv where they advertise products that can remove scratches like that even with today's clear coat paints. They even show a person taking a key and running it down the hood and then using their product it is magically gone. So my question is, has anyone used a product like this and if so what is the name and where can you get it?/ Did it actually work?? What is the magic secret to them?? Are there any do's and dont's?? Are there any cons to using them?? I know we use as a final finish on pens Maguires scratch remover and then polish on pens and people swear by it here. Is that something to try? years ago you use to be able to compound out small scratches and then polish but I am concerned with today's clearcoat paint this is not possible. Thanks for the replys.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

zig613

I have found the over the counter scratch wipe on removers of little use and I don't have the knowledge or skills to do any repairs using a buffer. I would suggest you take it to a professional car detailer. They would be able to assess if it can be repaired or not and do it without damaging the clear coat.

Woodchipper

Go back to the dealer or shop. Had the same thing happen to a Ford that had scratches on the rocker panel. Dealer gave me an open P. O. to give to my local dealer and to call them for approval with the cost. Bad part is it began to rust when I sold it.

sbwertz

The service department at your dealership may have paint repair pens that match really well if your paint is not too sun faded. Someone hit my car with a grocery cart and scratched the paint. The color match was perfect and you really had to look to see the repair.

jttheclockman

I have a dealer paint stick from when I bought the truck for one of the deeper scratches. But the ones on the fenders are surface scratches that are very fine line. Paint stick will not work. I will include a photo as an example.

IMGP0300.JPG

David350

John, I have had good luck with the Kit Scratch Out, link below. Of course, it all depends on if those are just marks by the object, or scratches through the paint (I can't tell by your picture). If its the first, then it has a good chance of working in my experience...

Oops, look like its changed its name a bit, but this is what I have used before...

Kit Scratch Out

WriteON

I have a dealer paint stick from when I bought the truck for one of the deeper scratches. But the ones on the fenders are surface scratches that are very fine line. Paint stick will not work. I will include a photo as an example.

View attachment 346764
That is a disgrace. I'd expect that from PepBoys. As for products shown on TV.... they will take dents out of doors and bumpers. They will restore broken glass. The fix flat non-repairable tires.
Seriously ..I'm currently in Florida. There are mobile repair vendors that do excellent work. Iv'e seen bad scratches taken care of that the viewer cannot tell it was repainted. These are the vendors that touch up used cars on lots to make look new. Do your homework and do it right. Fees usually run $150-$250.
I use a dealer for my cars. I ask them to inspect, make notes and take pictures before taking the car from me. I had a body shop tear a leather seat ( how about that..body shop)... told them It did not come in like that. After we studied the pictures taken when I brought it in the owner agreed with me and replaced the seat cover.

jttheclockman

So far I am surprised no one has said they tried those products you see on TV where the guy uses a key to scratch brand new cars and then just polishes it out. :)

WriteON

So far I am surprised no one has said they tried those products you see on TV where the guy uses a key to scratch brand new cars and then just polishes it out. :)
Ok. My father in law scraped the crap out the front bumper. Bought the TV miracle kit and asked me to help him out. I did. I suggested we did not endorse or give the product good reviews. Also suggested not using my name if asked who did the work

Bryguy

I tried the tv stuff. It is rubbish. It is just a mixture of some kind of abrasive in a colored carrier. Don't bother. Just do it the hard way. Rubbing compound and touch up paint. Then finish through grits and rubbing compound. Just like a pen!

bsshog40

For minor scratches, I usually buy some polishing compound from walmart. I use a damp/wet cotton cloth and rub them out. Then wipe off with a clean dry cotton cloth. Works pretty good for light scratches.

Top Bottom