Variations on a theme

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Alan Morrison

Alan Morrison

I am interested to know which of these you would make into a pen.
I know that the veneer and glue lines are a bit on the rough side but it is the pattern that I would like the feedback on.
IMG_0674.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sly Dog

I really like the balance and weave of #3 (bottom) - that's a definite yes for me, and so is #1.
At first blush, #2 looks a bit too busy (congested ?) to my eye, but then again in the right kit....

All very cool ideas!

jttheclockman

Bottom only I do not like when pattern lines run into each other and there is no distinct pattern. Happened on bottom of #1 and middle of #2. Plus if you are putting 1 ring then put one on each end.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I'll vote for #3 also. If another trim ring were added to the top of #1 that may be nice.

Interesting variations Alan, very nice experiment. đź‘Ť

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska - These certainly all exceed my skill level and I think they are all very nice, but my favorite would have to be the bottom one - I'm pretty sure for me it's the symmetry. - Dave

Alan Morrison

I really like the balance and weave of #3 (bottom) - that's a definite yes for me, and so is #1.
At first blush, #2 looks a bit too busy (congested ?) to my eye, but then again in the right kit....

All very cool ideas!
Thanks for the feedback, Russ. I much prefer no. 3 myself. I think that it has a bit of the Art Nouveau border about it.
Alan

Alan Morrison

Bottom only I do not like when pattern lines run into each other and there is no distinct pattern. Happened on bottom of #1 and middle of #2. Plus if you are putting 1 ring then put one on each end.
John, Thanks for your feedback. I take on board what you say and agree that the top one needs another ring for balance. The middle one has too much going on. I will remake the bottom one when I get some transparent glue.
Alan

Alan Morrison

I'll vote for #3 also. If another trim ring were added to the top of #1 that may be nice.
Interesting variations Alan, very nice experiment. đź‘Ť
Hello Mark and thanks for the feedback.
I will try no. 1 with another ring just to see how it looks. I like the idea of the fish pattern.
No. 2 is a non runner.
Stay well.
Alan

Alan Morrison

Greetings from Nebraska - These certainly all exceed my skill level and I think they are all very nice, but my favorite would have to be the bottom one - I'm pretty sure for me it's the symmetry. - Dave
Thanks for the comments, Dave.
I will take others advice and try No.1 with another ring to balance the design.
No great skill needed other than owning a 1 and a half inch hole saw and a drill press.
Alan

Top Bottom