Variable Speed lathe.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question for the electrical engineers on this forum... I have a Jet 1014, it's about 4 years old, only way I can vary speed is change belt pulleys... how effect would it be if I could wire a variable switch into the on/off switch and set the belt at highest speed... would I lose too much power trying to turn at slower speeds with this setup... is it even logical to try.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dfurlano

I think the answer is you can't. If you try and put a variable speed control on a motor that is not designed for it has no effect other then it will only turn on when enough current is supplied to the motor.

Search the archives there has been a lot of threads on this topic.

rgundersen

Hmmm not an electrical engineer but what about the speed adjusters that are used for router speed control on non variable speed routers?

I have not personally tried it but it seems a reasonable idea given that Rockler, Woodcraft and others generally carry them in stock and it would be returnable if it did not function at all...

Randy_

Originally posted by rgundersen
<br />Hmmm not an electrical engineer but what about the speed adjusters that are used for router speed control on non variable speed routers.....

Routers use a different kind of motor than what is used on our lathes. Because of the differences in electrical design , the router speed controller "WILL NOT" work on our lathe motors. Dimmer switches that you use on the livingroom lights won't work either.

woodmarc

I believe that the only way to change the rotational speed of the motors in the Jet-1014 and the like would be to vary the frequency of the voltage applied to the motor. This can be bought or built, however, by the time you have spent the money on that little project, you might as well just go out and buy yourself a full sized Lathe!

jedgerton

Looks like you've already gotten some good advice. The motor type used on the Jet 1014 won't work with the kind of controllers you were mentioning. Any controller that lowers the voltage will result in excessive current consumption (constant power) that will burn up the motor.

On the other hand, PSI is marketing an upgrade kit for Delta, Jet and I think turncrafter lathes to make them variable speed. It includes a controller, DC motor and hardware. It does require drilling the motor mount on your lathe. Its also $115 so its not cheap.

If anyone has tried it, let us know how it worked out.

Thanks John, don't think I"ll bother with it.. like Eagle said, it ain't no big thing to change the belts and I don't do it very often anyway... I tend to run pretty fast on the lathe with most of my turnings...it's what broke the tool rest.. got a catch and slammed the bowl gouge onto the end of the rest and snapped the post.

I think I have been through Mt. Enterprise... at first I thought it was typo... there is a community called Point Enterprise over near where I went to school.. Graduated from Teague, Pt. Enterprise is between Teague and Mexia.. Have an Aunt that lives in Troupe on East Lake Tyler... years back, I had a time share condon on Lake Tyler. Think you are east of all that. Right..

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by kent4Him
<br />I think it would be cheaper to sell your old 1014 and buy the VS model than to go though the trouble and expense of modifying.
That is true unless it is shot.Let me check something....

Yep I thought so.No where is it written you cannot have two lathes.[:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom