Value Added?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

When making natural edge pieces I sometimes add feet which I think improves the aesthetic of the piece. However, I often ask myself are feet worth the extra effort involved with carving and sanding the feet? I would appreciate any thoughts on the value added by feet.
8FBE02A4-BA00-4E78-8ADE-67D0736D3E6B.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I think the feet do add a little something to the bowl, the word character comes to mind. Is it worth it? I would think so but maybe not for ALL pieces like these as it is quite time consuming to do those. Once you get the art figured out and efficient at making them then maybe it will be more cost effective to do it regularly.

At the end of the day if you are selling your work it has to appeal to the customer and not everyone wants the same thing. Find something like this that makes your work stand out compared to other people's work. These bowls look great and of the 2 I like the one with the feet more.

bsshog40

Personally I like a flat bottom bowl. Gives more stability and if it gets set down too hard, no risk of breaking or chipping of little feet. Also less chance of tipping. Jmo. Both look nice Cody!

Last edited:

wouldentu2?

Feet look out of place, maybe a shallow tenon to slightly lift it off the table and create a shadow line.

Last edited:

sorcerertd

They are both beautiful! The feet look good, but I'm not sure how I feel about it compared to without them personally. Is it worth the extra effort? I would agree with what's been said as to how much you want to set your work apart from others and from what customers want. I would make a few of both and see what sells.

Charlie_W

Very nicely done on both bowls Cody!

The carved feet do kick it up and would appeal to those with an artistic eye…or another turner.
I think the general buyer would only see the natural edge snd overall shape.
There is a buyer for both.

Top Bottom