Valuable Lesson, Blacken your tubes!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from cowjelly

cowjelly

I got a chance to turn some today. I grabbed some acrylic, I thought it was a dark piece that wouldn't show the brass insert. Well I should have blackened the brass just to be safe, but I didn't. Anyway here's what I ended up with. Comments welcome...

Thanks...

Attachments

• IMG_0368.jpg
    IMG_0368.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 463
  • IMG_0372.jpg
    IMG_0372.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 402
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

marcruby

That's a very well turned piece of penwork. Maybe you could convince the buyer that you left the tubes visible to show the quality of construction. Or you could just send me the pen >:p

Marc

babyblues

I've found that it's easier to just paint the inside of the blank. I use black stove paint in a spray can. It's easy to just spray the inside of the blank from either end. That's what works for me anyway.

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
What was the material? It looks like an Invisavue blank ... the ones that aren't supposed to go transparent, so you shouldn't need to paint the tubes ... but maybe its a different material????

bkersten

I Well I should have blackened the brass just to be safe, but I didn't.
Thanks...

I just did 5 PR casts with some real white lables that I thought wouldn"t show through - WRONG. I thought all was lost and had to get new tubes but I stood them on end at the band saw and sawed just shy of the tube on 3 sides. I then twisted a thin screwdriver in the cut slot at each end and it split the PR right off the tube, along with the lable. Cleaned it up with goo-gone, relabled it, and ready to cast again. Painted tubes is SOP now- which it should have been to start.

THarvey

I agree. You should have blackened the tubes.

Just send the pen to me. I will take the blame (credit) for it. That way your reputation is spared the embarassment. :glasses-cool:

Tim

Top Bottom