VALLEY OF THE GIANTS

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

johncrane

This is me standing at the Giant red Tingle Tree' in the valley of the giants at Walpole.WA the base of the tree is 24 metres'

2006820152146_image0.jpg

this is the largest living girthed Eucalypt known in the world' and is surrounded by soaring karri trees. has anyone else got any large tree photos to show.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

punkinn

I got some trees for you! Can you say "Yosemite!?" [:D] Giant Sequoias in the Mariposa Grove:

Uprooted redwood:
normal_77d.jpg

I felt absolutely tiny among these beautiful trees!
normal_73d.jpg

Dang, that thing is BIG!
normal_72a.jpg

I've never looked up INSIDE a tree before!
normal_93d.jpg

and one of my favorite tree photos:
redwood.jpg

Nancy :)

clewless

200682142733_kauri%20tane%20mahuta.jpg
<br />

New Zealand Champion "Tane Mahuta"
Kauri or Agathis australis
Waipoua National Forest Northern North Island, New Zealand
Circumference = 540 inches (45 feet)
Height = 169 feet
Volume = 8,635 cubic feet
Estimated Age = 2,100 years

I've seen the redwoods but this boy was big. Everyone was quieted by the enormous size especially since you don't see him till you round a turn in the forest. People were "reverential", in his presence. For me, I'd have to place this in the top three places I've been with walking up to the base of Cheops pyramid in Gisa and the Grand Canyon ads the other two...so far[:)].

Tane Mahuta is New Zealand's tallest Kauri Tree, growing in Waipoua Forest on the northern end of North Island. Its massive smooth, gray-white trunk rises 59 feet before a branch appears. The gigantic specimen is a remanent of the tremendous ancient subtropical rain forest that once grew there, a survivor of 200 years of intensive logging. By counting rings from felled trees of similar circumference, Tane Mahuta is believed to be 2,100 years old.

johncrane

Thanks for sharing Nancy your photos are fantastic. Is General Sherman the largest tree in the world in this area. Your Giant red woods trees are magnificent.Also your photos are a lot better than mine.we used a chep throw a way kodak camera.Lets hope we get some more Interest in our worlds magnificent trees.

punkinn

Hey Joe and John,

I didn't get to see the Tane Mahuta when I was in NZ... [:(]

I know the 'reverence' thing you're talking about. It struck me with many of the redwoods in Mariposa Grove, but in particular the Grizzly Giant (below):

normal_88d.jpg

normal_89d.jpg

... which was estimated at "over 2,000 years old" although individual trees are known to live more than 3,500 years. It was a very spiritual thing to be in the presence of such age and nobility. I know I would have the same experience with Tane Mahuta should I ever get the chance to visit him. [:)]

John, I wasn't sure about the General Sherman Tree's place in immense treedom, so I looked it up: General Sherman Tree: The General Sherman Tree is 274.9' (83.8 meters) tall, and 102.6' (31.3 meters) in circumference at its base. Other trees in the world are taller: the tallest tree in the world is the Coast Redwood, which averages 300' - 350' (91.4 - 106.7 meters) in height. A cypress near Oaxaca, Mexico has a greater circumference, 162' (49.4 meters). But in volume of wood, the Sherman has no equal. With 52,500 cubic feet (1486.6 cubic meters) of wood, the General Sherman Tree earns the title of the World's Largest Living Thing.

Humbling indeed. I've loved seeing the photos of your Giant Red Tingle Tree from Walpole, and the Tane Mahuta in NZ.

Anyone have more?? [:)]

Best regards,
Nancy

johncrane

That's a great photo Nancy. It is just so good that these trees have survived from fire and man.Here in Victoria at MT Baw Baw Australia they wasnt so lucky.they say we did have one of the worlds Tallest trees a Eucalyptus measuring 143 Meters and a Mountain Ash was Estimated to be taller at 150 Meters these where felled during 19th centry.

punkinn

Originally posted by johncrane
<br />That's a great photo Nancy. It is just so good that these trees have survived from fire and man.Here in Victoria at MT Baw Baw Australia they wasnt so lucky.they say we did have one of the worlds Tallest trees a Eucalyptus measuring 143 Meters and a Mountain Ash was Estimated to be taller at 150 Meters these where felled during 19th centry.

It's bad enough when fire or lightning take down a big tree, but when they're felled intentionally, that's just sad.

Nancy

punkinn

Originally posted by DocStram
<br />Great photos everydbody. But, Nancy, I can see why that last one is your favorite photo. That is an incredible picture. It's worth framing. Wow!

Thanks Doc, it's hard to come up with a "different" look for a tree photo! [:)]

Nancy

Dario

This is interesting...what I would give to get some woody part of this 12,000 year old bush (Mojave Desert creosote bush (Larrea tridentata)).

http://waynesword.palomar.edu/ww0601.htm#oldest

BTW, it is just a small bush but a GIANT in my book [;)]

johncrane

Another Giant this is a Mountain Ash(Regnans)in the Styx Valley Tasmania. It is still alive and looks like this area will be protected now only after much public outcry. standing next to this giant indicates its size.

200682234643_styxtree.jpg
<br />

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom