Valentine's Day Gift

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dan Masshardt

Dan Masshardt

This is the third February that I've been turning.

The last two years I've made my wife a little bad vase.

This year I changed it up a little but and made a lidded box. Purpleheart with maple lid and Purpleheart knob.

I thought all Purple Heart would be too much so I threw in the maple.

Anybody else turn a gift for their honey?

Attachments

• image-1864385375.jpg
    image-1864385375.jpg
    512.2 KB · Views: 251
  • image-355843533.jpg
    image-355843533.jpg
    543.2 KB · Views: 252
  • image-4105958540.jpg
    image-4105958540.jpg
    486.7 KB · Views: 193
  • image-4030643541.jpg
    image-4030643541.jpg
    517.8 KB · Views: 204
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Very nicely done, Dan !! Did you have any problems with the purpleheart ? I have been told it tends to splinter so I haven't used it yet.

Dan Masshardt

Very nicely done, Dan !! Did you have any problems with the purpleheart ? I have been told it tends to splinter so I haven't used it yet.

Purpleheart isn't too bad. I think I know what you mean but it wasn't a problem.

The only problem I had was hollowing at the bottom. Particularly cleaning up the bottom and lower sides. LOTS of tool over the rest. :-/. End grain / hardwood and a bit of depth.

There are a couple new tools I want to add to te arsenal - A flat rest made to to into the box and a full sized carbide hollowing tool.

Charlie_W

Dan, great example of end grain hollowing. I like the look with the vertical grain.
The match up with the maple was a wise choice.
Can you give us a size?
Your wife will love it! Are you going to have chocolates in it or jewelry? :biggrin:

Charlie_W

Hey Dan, this year, Wonderful Wifey wanted to go to the tile stores to pick out tile for our kitchen backsplash as a gift. We went, we conquered! Decision made. Now just have to order and get going.
Of course I found a nice card and some roses. We did a home cooked dinner last night instead of eating out. We had some yummy grass fed angus beef tenderloin, baked potatoes and veggies. Some ultimate chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream....YUM YUM! The best part is we sat in front of the fireplace in our slippers! Hard to do that in a restaurant.

Here is a pic of a Valentine's day sign I made for my Sweetie years ago. I put it out every year! She loves it! The neighborhood wives think it is so sweet! Their husbands say I make them look like a shmuck! It is not turned but did turn out well. I Cut it from a 4'square piece of plywood.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    351.8 KB · Views: 262

triw51

Hey Dan, this year, Wonderful Wifey wanted to go to the tile stores to pick out tile for our kitchen backsplash as a gift. We went, we conquered! Decision made. Now just have to order and get going.
Of course I found a nice card and some roses. We did a home cooked dinner last night instead of eating out. We had some yummy grass fed angus beef tenderloin, baked potatoes and veggies. Some ultimate chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream....YUM YUM! The best part is we sat in front of the fireplace in our slippers! Hard to do that in a restaurant.

Here is a pic of a Valentine's day sign I made for my Sweetie years ago. I put it out every year! She loves it! The neighborhood wives think it is so sweet! Their husbands say I make them look like a shmuck! It is not turned but did turn out well. I Cut it from a 4'square piece of plywood.

Sounds like a great dinner who cooked?

Charlie_W

Sounds like a great dinner who cooked?[/QUOTE]

William,
Thanks! It was! I was the grocery store guy. We prepped and cooked dinner together.... But Wifey was the lead chef!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 157
Top Bottom