Valentines Day Gift for the LOML

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TerryDowning

TerryDowning

Bud Vase turned from 6/4 maple stock

Inside for water resistance, I applied 2 coats of wood hardener, 3 coats acrylic paint, and a lot of spray poly.

Outside is sanded to 1000 then spray on poly sanded to 1500 then buffed with tripoli and white diamond.

I stopped off on the way to work this morning and got a rose to put in it and delivered it to my wife at work.

I can't show the accompanying pen yet as I submitted for a contest with it.

She was very pleased and co-workers were impressed.

budvase1.jpg
budvase2.jpg
budvaseprofile.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TerryDowning

Well, she knew I was working something, just exactly what she wasn't sure.

She seemed surprised and very pleased when I dropped it off to her at work this morning.

Terry

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Nice design and great timing! Coloring the inside adds a nice flash of color, but retains the natural look of wood on most of it.

TerryDowning

Thanks

Yes, I was struggling with how to make the inside water resistant. I tried a test painting with some fiberglass resin and didn't like that. So started scrounging around the shop looking at different finishes.

The Acrylic pain teamed up with the wood hardener (Interior/Exterior rated) and the top coat of poly, I figured it was worth a shot.

The red is barely visible once a flower and some greens are arranged in it. Overall I'm very pleased with how it came out.

Top Bottom