Vacuum pump for wood stabilization

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mfreeby

Hi,

I am new to this site I have been turning pens for 8 years now I started in 8th grade and now am in college. I have gotten into making my own acrylic and various other blanks I am looking at either making or buying a vacuum pump and chamber so that I can begin stabilizing my own blanks. Any info would be great.

Thanks,

Matt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenPal

Library, library , library. Long way from here to help.

Kind regards Peter.

PS a Canadian Les Elm does exceptional stuff without vacuum or air and uses a heat chamber etc all of the above in the library. The Texas Maestro sells, makes infusion chemicals, vac chambers advises on all of the above does this as a business an great all round guy.

yorkie

I have one of Turntex's vacuum chambers and it works perfectly. I matched it up with a Busch vacuum pump.

I actually, and don't kill me for this, traded a pen for a new Busch vacuum pump valued at $1,400. A friend of mine who sells them wanted one of my pens and the deal worked for both of us.

OOPS

Matt, greetings from Spokane. Several in our pen turning club have used the HF vacuum pump with success. The cost is around $150 or so. Some report that the exhaust on that pump leaks an oil mist, which would be unpleasant if using indoors all the time. James (crabcreekindustries) put an automotive oil filter on his to keep the mist from becoming airborne. If you go to the Turntex site you will see a link to some higher end pumps. You need to decide how often you will be stabilizing...this will give you a guide as to how much to spend.

robutacion

Matt, greetings from Spokane. Several in our pen turning club have used the HF vacuum pump with success. The cost is around $150 or so. Some report that the exhaust on that pump leaks an oil mist, which would be unpleasant if using indoors all the time. James (crabcreekindustries) put an automotive oil filter on his to keep the mist from becoming airborne. If you go to the Turntex site you will see a link to some higher end pumps. You need to decide how often you will be stabilizing...this will give you a guide as to how much to spend.

Yes, some pumps tend to allow more oil mist than others however, that problem can be solved quite easily and inexpensively, the oil filter suggested is a good one but I have a solution that is easier to make and very cheap and that is explained in here http://www.penturners.org/forum/f163/all-give-away-111207/index6.html, it was part of my recent questions game, was question #2. The answers/results are shown on page 10, post #93

PS: Curtis from TurnTex, will be able to set you up with everything you need, talk to him...!

Cheers
George

Last edited:
Top Bottom