Vacuum options

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Haynie

I am ordering a vacuum pump to use with two other projects. It will draw 3.15 cfm and a maximum of 24hg.

Seeing as how I have this little pen making addict...um...hobby I was wondering if a person can cast under vacuum? I have read all about the stabilization aspect but can't seem to find if people cast this way.

Ed McDonnell

You could use vacuum to degas your resin, but you wouldn't leave it under vacuum for curing. You would cure it at room pressure.

Vacuum degassing is good for a lot of casting situations, but some applications need pressure (e.g. urethane resins, or complicated embedments). I work exclusively with PR and I always use vacuum for degassing. I rarely use pressure.

Ed

Justturnin

+1 on Vacuum for degas. If you pour resin over wood and then pull it under a vacuum you will have a real mess and likely end up with foamy resin because it will pull the air out of the wood and through the resin. There is a lot of air in wood.

FlowolF

Late to the fray here.

I've not made a pen yet (but keep yer eyes open, heheh.. ), but played with several resins/stabilising/casting/'embedding' and general experiments of the sort quite intensively these last few years so, here's how I look at it.

I must also echo not to try and cast under vacuum - it's 100% counterproductive, as all you're doing is keeping the tiny voids that do remain inflated to their maximum size then locked there as it sets, and that will show in/on the final piece and the resin may not adhere well to anything being cast in it (DAMHIK*T*).

I tend to be using the much slower curing systems at the minute, so I degass all of them, difference is only in how deep a vacuum and how long I decide to or can leave it.

The particular '24hr' rigid/clear casting epoxy I use can take maximum vacuuming for even a few hours, and I often pre-pour degass, and then again in the mould if I have anything else in there (especially porous stuff like plant matter).

The PU50 urethane (stated 10-18 hours?.. ) and most of it's sisters in the range that are slow enough, seems best not to exceed 27Hg, and under 5 mins, or it suddenly starts to boil off an aromatic component, foams up, gets hot and then sets suddenly, sometimes still crackling (DAMHIKT).

But it^ still benefits from a quick pre-pour degass, and I have vacuumed it in the mould full of other things too.

For some of the things I cast, degassing in the mould seems to get the most air out and after releasing the vacuum, seems to give the resin a bit of 'bite' into the wood/whatever I'm embedding.

If I have a working pressure pot at the time I'll leave the moulds in a warm place until they are just about to start turning, them put them in the pressure pot, (I get about 40/45 psi max ATM) keep it warm until it sets.

Have read a lot but have no personal experience of the quicker uretrhanes, so I've nothing to add there, but I did many years ago play with one Polyester system and I hated it personally - didn't like so much heat generated when encapsulating some things, didn't like the feel or look, plus mine kept setting in the bloody can at the end of summer - so I have no good experiences with them to add nor did I have vac. or pressure but others definitely have.

But anyway - that's just what I do and why, but I'm the kinda guy who has this sh*t rattling around his skull all the time, so I could have some of it bass-akwards, who knows.

',;~}~

FlowolF is rambling as he's (off his meds and) on too much coffee <chuckle>

Last edited:
Top Bottom