Vacuum chamber size question.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jxdubbs

I'm getting a vacuum chamber from TurnTex I know I'm getting the 4" round. I can afford the 14" or 16" tall. My question is what size is good. I've never stabilized before. I just don't want to get something to small or to big. Idk if it matters rather way.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

This isn't the answer your looking for but it will give you something to think about. The logical thing is that the bigger the better. You can put a few blanks in a big container but you cant put a bunch in a small container. With that the bigger the chamber the more C.J. you will need to fill it up which can get pricey. A good way to offset that is marbles. If you have a lot of space you need to fill and don't have the juice or don't want to use that much fill it with marbles. You can wash and reuse them so they're a one time expense. So I guess you'll just have to make a judgment call on how much stabilizing you want to do.

MRDucks2

I do not have a large chamber, but neither do I typically do large batches. I find using plastic containers sized to the number of blanks I am stabilizing inside of the chamber minimizes CJ required and clean-up.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

jxdubbs

This isn't the answer your looking for but it will give you something to think about. The logical thing is that the bigger the better. You can put a few blanks in a big container but you cant put a bunch in a small container. With that the bigger the chamber the more C.J. you will need to fill it up which can get pricey. A good way to offset that is marbles. If you have a lot of space you need to fill and don't have the juice or don't want to use that much fill it with marbles. You can wash and reuse them so they're a one time expense. So I guess you'll just have to make a judgment call on how much stabilizing you want to do.
Thanks Kenny... I would have never thought of marbles to fill it. That's such a terrific idea! I was probably thinking about half a gallon of c.j. to start.

jxdubbs

I do not have a large chamber, but neither do I typically do large batches. I find using plastic containers sized to the number of blanks I am stabilizing inside of the chamber minimizes CJ required and clean-up.

I'd probably be only to put one container in at one time because of the diameter. Unless I can stack it. But I don't think stacking would work.

MRDucks2

I'd probably be only to put one container in at one time because of the diameter. Unless I can stack it. But I don't think stacking would work.

Here is what I was doing:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f43/low-mess-stabilizing-small-pot-154724/

I'm getting a vacuum chamber from TurnTex I know I'm getting the 4" round. I can afford the 14" or 16" tall. My question is what size is good. I've never stabilized before. I just don't want to get something to small or to big. Idk if it matters rather way.

I've got the 4" x 10" chamber and it works great for what I do. I can stabilize enough blanks to keep me busy for some time. I guess the real question comes down to how many blanks you plan to stabilize. The last batch I did I got 13- 3/4" square pieces into the chamber and they all turned out nice.

Brian G

As noted above, you can fit about 13-14 3/4" square blanks in the 4" diameter chamber. If you want to double the number by stacking another set on top of the first, I suggest going with the 16".

The extra 2" of head space will be helpful because you need to make sure the stabilizing liquid is well above the top of the blanks, and that you have enough room for the bubbling liquid so it doesn't run into your pump.

I've had to disassemble and clean the innards of my pump twice. Both times I thought I was being careful, but the cloudy oil in the window argued otherwise. Now I'm extra careful.

You could also purchase or make your own inline "juice proof" trap.

greenacres2

I ended up at 6" x 16", and for most batches use a smaller container inside that. Plastic jars are plentiful at Goodwill store for real cheap, and I still have the space to do a large batch if I need to.
earl

Sprung

Buy as big as you can afford - I've seen a lot of people start out with a small chamber and within a very short amount of time they're upgrading to something larger. You can always stabilize smaller batches in a larger chamber or put very small batches in a smaller container inside the larger chamber. But you can't stabilize larger pieces in a smaller chamber.

jxdubbs

As noted above, you can fit about 13-14 3/4" square blanks in the 4" diameter chamber. If you want to double the number by stacking another set on top of the first, I suggest going with the 16".

The extra 2" of head space will be helpful because you need to make sure the stabilizing liquid is well above the top of the blanks, and that you have enough room for the bubbling liquid so it doesn't run into your pump.

I've had to disassemble and clean the innards of my pump twice. Both times I thought I was being careful, but the cloudy oil in the window argued otherwise. Now I'm extra careful.

You could also purchase or make your own inline "juice proof" trap.
I think I might look into that trap. That's for the suggestion!

Top Bottom