UV Resin finish on Wine Bottle Stopper

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ccccchunt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Would love to see this work. I must own 5 lights including two nail polish lamps. I can't get it to cure rock hard (no fingerprinting) unless I "cook" (very long term exposure) it and expose with light and all the surfaces at the same time without withdrawing the light. My experience and from the research that I have conducted (mainly with the Solarez and Alumi folks (still have their products)) the curing/polymerization process should not be interrupted and can't be resumed. I hope that I am dead wrong. Bruce Robbins (RIP) and spent hours tying to overcome oxygen inhibition using a atmospheric envelop of inert gases. Bob in SF has been very successful with this process (and almost any thing he tries :)) . I have not been able to emulate his UV cure work.

My first impulse is to but the product, I am going to wait this time. Maybe, these new products have changed their formulas to be more hobbyist friendly.

Thank you for re-introducing the topic. I think it can be a game-changer.

Please keep/me all posted!

ccccchunt

Very interesting, have you tried it on wood too?
Yes. There are some burls in here. Manzanita burl hybrid on left. Big Leaf Maple Burl beer tap in center and dyed Big Leaf Maple Burl on right. The manzanita and beer tap were not stabilized. The dyed maple was. I did finish on these all in one night.

Attachments

• 271416929_575680900288238_1231253320762626236_n.jpg
    271416929_575680900288238_1231253320762626236_n.jpg
    427.3 KB · Views: 97

TonyL

Yes. There are some burls in here. Manzanita burl hybrid on left. Big Leaf Maple Burl beer tap in center and dyed Big Leaf Maple Burl on right. The manzanita and beer tap were not stabilized. The dyed maple was. I did finish on these all in one night.
The are super. I have all of the lights - what is another UV cure. I will buy it. Thx.

ccccchunt

This finish has been talked about here before and not sure why it does not get much play. I know at the time it was being talked about here I was going to give it a try. But never got around to doing this. I may once again give it a look see. Looks like it has potential. Thanks for showing.

Here are some past threads on this.
www.penturners.org/search/71391/?q=UV+finishes&o=relevance
I think maybe the price was a NO GO when UV resin first came out. Now it is quite affordable. I can buy a 280g bottle for around 25 bucks and do at least 100 stoppers with it. Haven't tested the shelf life at all on it. I find it levels out better when I warm the bottle in warm water first. Might be because my garage is about 30-40 degrees right now! ;)

TonyL

I wrote to the YT guy. This is what he had to say. I am Tanner Tucker (long story....two of my golden retrievers). I will give it a try.1641768046520.png

Curly

Nice outcome. There was no link or product names when I viewed the video. Would you put the link in here?
Thanks

Almost forgot to ask. Is this a food safe product?

TonyL

I posted it for you. It was under Show More.

I don't know the answer to it being food safe. I am not sure I would even trust the MSDS (assuming it had one).

Curly

I posted it for you. It was under Show More.

I don't know the answer to it being food safe. I am not sure I would even trust the MSDS (assuming it had one).
Thanks Tony. Still can't find it in the original video but I'm not a member of YouTube so maybe that's why. Got it not so that's as far as I need to go.

TonyL

Thanks Tony. Still can't find it in the original video but I'm not a member of YouTube so maybe that's why. Got it not so that's as far as I need to go.
Ok. Well the stuff should arrive tomorrow or Wednesday. I will let you know what I think.

Curly

Ok. Well the stuff should arrive tomorrow or Wednesday. I will let you know what I think.
My post should have said "Got it now so". I flubbed the spelling and didn't catch it until now.

Poking around last night I did find a Canadian company with what looks like real good prices, better than Amazon. Might give them a shot. Just have to verify with them that it cures hard.

monophoto

Seems like a lot of folks are currently using this stuff. But the concern I have is how well does it hold up over time? Has anyone used it long enough do be able to share experience about the long-term durability.

The reason I ask is that my dentist has used something similar to this to do some surface treatment on my teeth. He claimed that it would be permanent, but in fact it really didn't last very long at all. In some cases, the repairs failed in a matter of hours. I understand that the dental version is likely different from the products discussed here, but the fact that they are UV-cured resins causes me to believe that there are similarities.

ccccchunt

Seems like a lot of folks are currently using this stuff. But the concern I have is how well does it hold up over time? Has anyone used it long enough do be able to share experience about the long-term durability.

The reason I ask is that my dentist has used something similar to this to do some surface treatment on my teeth. He claimed that it would be permanent, but in fact it really didn't last very long at all. In some cases, the repairs failed in a matter of hours. I understand that the dental version is likely different from the products discussed here, but the fact that they are UV-cured resins causes me to believe that there are similarities.
Will have to find out. I would say, however, that the average tooth takes more abuse than my bottle stoppers. I know that I have dropped a finished stopper on my concrete floor and the finish did not dent or scratch. Not even a mark. From my experience, CA glue is much more brittle when cured, especially when people use accelerator.

TonyL

Well..my Amazon shipment has not arrived, but it may be here by 10pm (I doubt it). I have had Amazon cancel several orders getting close to the delivery date/time with an "Out of Stock" reason.

TonyL

Mine was cancelled too. Seems they are out of stock. No indication when it will be back.

Pete
Mine wasn't canceled yet. I have had other thing canceled. The latest is a centering Luftkin tape measure.

As Schultz always says, I know nothing -- about the UV finish.... I think I will stick to my wipe on poly finish on mine... I've been making them for years using the wipe on poly over a good sanding sealer and it appears to hold up well, it's an easy finish that I can apply in seconds and the finish is available locally. I don't do many stoppers from resin, but have done a few and have used a good plastic polish that works well for me.

jttheclockman

Louie I believe you may get some info from the link I provided above that had a bunch of older threads that discussed using this stuff on pens. You may find some test results in them. Maybe people shared their findings. Good luck.

PatrickR

I got some from Berea (no idea who makes it) it did not work well for my intended purpose (filling channels) but have found it works very well for doming finials. It cures hard, can be sanded and polishes well. Also appears to be in stock.

Top Bottom