USS Missouri teak pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from pschwizz

pschwizz

Made a couple of pens from the teak deck of USS Missouri. I had to cut it and plane it down to make the blanks. They turned out OK. The pen kits came from woodpenpro.com.

Attachments

• 20200430_120939.jpg
    20200430_120939.jpg
    559.7 KB · Views: 248
  • 20200430_141659.jpg
    20200430_141659.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 256
  • 20200501_094423.jpg
    20200501_094423.jpg
    385.2 KB · Views: 245
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MyDadsPens

very nice looking pen Pschwizz - have you worked with regular teak before ? I am curious how the old battleship teak compares to teak harvested a year or so ago - I have seen artisans work with driftwood and barn-boards for pens and other wood items and it surprises me sometimes how 1/16 under the surface of driftwood it can look very much like fresh wood.
Obviously fresh teak cannot compare to battleship teak in the back story but I was wondering in regards to straight up appearance. I have just recently begun working with teak and shesham and I think they might be rather underappreciated by the pen community

walshjp17

Nice pens, Paul. I like the Information Dominance clip. Unfortunately, I retired well before that became a device for certain qualified Intel and Crypto types. Jimmy certainly did a good job on the hardware.

pschwizz

very nice looking pen Pschwizz - have you worked with regular teak before ? I am curious how the old battleship teak compares to teak harvested a year or so ago - I have seen artisans work with driftwood and barn-boards for pens and other wood items and it surprises me sometimes how 1/16 under the surface of driftwood it can look very much like fresh wood.
Obviously fresh teak cannot compare to battleship teak in the back story but I was wondering in regards to straight up appearance. I have just recently begun working with teak and shesham and I think they might be rather underappreciated by the pen community

Once the old top layer is planed or turned, it looks brand new. I haven't seen any difference in the older wood compared to the newer stuff. The pens in the picture were made from the teak deck replaced in the late 80's/early 90's. It looks weathered, but when its turned and finished, it really livens up. The smell is the best when turning teak. Both old and new teak smells good.

Top Bottom