Using Shellawax?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wimkluck

I use it on bowls and platters. Works fine. I have used it on pens. The pen I used myself was not a succes. The finish didn't last longer as a year.
It was a long time ago that I put this on my pens and I don't remember how many layers I put on it. I guess 2. I used the pen every day in my work.

monophoto

U-Beaut's Shellawax is a shellac-based friction polish with the addition of wax. It works well on art objects, but not so well on objects that are going to get a lot of handling.

You can make a shop-made friction polish that withstands handling better by mixing equal quantities of an oil (BLO, pure Tung Oil or Walnut oil), lacquer and lacquer thinner. You can buff and wax after the friction polish has fully cured (suggest waiting a day or two), but the wax won't last very long.

Tim R

I've used Shellawax on most of the pens I've made. I apply three coats. I've been very happy with the results. I typically don't use it on woods that are more open-pored. On those I go with Aussie Oil, which I believe is another U-Beaut product.

TDahl

I have tried friction polish, and had mixed results on pens and never had the glass like finish I was looking for. I primarily use GluBoost and get the glass like finish every time.

Top Bottom